Coopers Community

Quick Krausen question

DavidP17

I put down a brew last sunday (Fruit salad ale) i pitched at 24 and have had it fermenting at 20

The Krausen formed up a few days in but still hasnt subsided

OG was 1040 and is now down to 1010 so i know it hasnt stalled or anything.

Can i remove the collar even though there is still the decent amount of foam? Are there any risks of leaving it on too long/taking it off too early?

Completely up to you mate. I usually leave mine on the entire time.

Provided it is still fermenting then you should be right to take it out if you want. Personally though I wouldn't worry about it.

Don't know what that collar thing is, aint got one of those new fangled things. All I've got is gladwrap. I dont know why you would want to remove it, why not leave it there untill after you bottle?

How long has it been brewing? If it is finished at 10 then it will be about4% Ach.

If it had been 10 for say 2-3 days then it is ready to bottle.

If it is still foaming then it is still brewing. If it aint broke don't fix it.

Warren

Its been in fermenter for six days ill leave it in there for another 8 days i usually go 2 weeks for my ales i just havnt noticed any of my other brews to have the foam hang around for as long.

Was just curious is all, i usually take the collar off when the foam subsides but this one was taking longer, all good ill just leav it on a few more days just wanted to make sure there would be no side effects

If it had been 10 for say 2-3 days then it is ready to bottle.

This is not exactly right.. yes you CAN bottle at this point of fermentation but... there is a good reason to leave it go longet at this point..

there are by products to fermentation that if given the time to do so the yeast will clean up like Acetaldehydebeing but one... given the right treatment.. like.. raising temps toward the end of primary ferment... and in general looking after the little fellas and making sure they are happy during ferment.. thay will make good..

if you give them the time to do so, I advocate leaving the beer on the cake for min.3 max.7 days once FG is achieved..

then cold condition.. etc..

Reaching FG for me is not a 'go button' for getting it to the bottle, givin gth yeast the chance to finish their job will result in a much more 'finished' beer (IMO)

Yob

Its been in fermenter for six days ill leave it in there for another 8 days i usually go 2 weeks for my ales i just havnt noticed any of my other brews to have the foam hang around for as long.

Was just curious is all, i usually take the collar off when the foam subsides but this one was taking longer, all good ill just leav it on a few more days just wanted to make sure there would be no side effects

David... the collar is only there to provide extra headspace in the event of a huge krausen. The only time that could have an effect on your brew if you remove it is if you remove it too late. This is because you are exposing your brew to air. If you want to remove the collar then the only time to do so is BEFORE fermentation has finished. This is because the fermentation will generate Co2 which will dispel the oxygen when the collar is removed. However, if fermentation is finished then there is most likely not enough Co2 to dispel the air after the brew has been exposed.

So... in short, it doesn't matter if you leave the collar in. However, if you want to remove it then the best time to do it is BEFORE reaching FG.

Archived