Coopers Community

Gravity Questions

FraserH

Oh k so Im still very new to this but Im hoping you chaps can help.

1, All my gravities seem very low in comparison to what Ive been reading on these boards, My OG for my coopers Real Ale was 1030 and FG was 1000 and the other 2 brews Ive made have been very similar.

My Lager which I have been drinking tastes great and ill be trying my Ale tomorrow night (which Im praying comes out fine).

2. Im using the Hydrometer that came with my coopers microbrew kit and it gives odd readings , for example it will read 1030 then if i give the hydrometer a tap it will drop to 1025 and if I tap it again it will change again. Is this a common problem with these or am I just doing something wrong

I do tip out the first sample before taking the reading as Ive heard that the sediment will often give false readings

Any wisdom would be much appreciated

Fraser

Air bubbles can stick to the side of the hydrometer, giving a false reading, by tapping it to release the bubbles the reading should change. Also it is a good idea to let your sample sit for a while before you take a reading to let residual co2 escape.

If you haven't yet you should test your hydrometer in water at 20C - It should read 0 if your hydrometer is working correctly.

Thanks Muddy Ive tried it in water and it came up just under 0 so with any future readings should i just make the adjustment ie:read it as 1028 instead of 1030?

Ill do another reading shortly and let it sit for a while and see what the outcome is hopefully this will sort this out

Oh k so I bottled my Ale on the 10th July, now Im not a very patient person so I tried it last night..... well to be honest I wasnt that impressed. I know its only been 11 days or so and everybody will possibly tell me to leave it for longer, but I like to know how things are tasting as they progress

After tasting it Ive decided it can quite happily sit there and age for 6 months before I start making an ambush on my stash of ale and with any luck it would have improved drastically

Oh k so I bottled my Ale on the 10th July, now Im not a very patient person so I tried it last night..... well to be honest I wasnt that impressed. I know its only been 11 days or so and everybody will possibly tell me to leave it for longer, but I like to know how things are tasting as they progress

After tasting it Ive decided it can quite happily sit there and age for 6 months before I start making an ambush on my stash of ale and with any luck it would have improved drastically

Yep, it will get better. It doesn't matter how impatient you are the fact is still there:

If you pick a green apricot the taste won't impress you no matter what you do but it will get better if left.

Archived