Coopers Community

Dry hopping only

DavidP17

I have an IPA fermenting at the moment and am planning on dry hopping 14g of cascade hops on about the 3rd day/when the krausen collar is ready to be removed. From what i have read dry hopping has more of a flavouring and aroma affect rather than adding bitterness. If im only dry hopping would it be worth picking up some more hops? from what iv read people seem to add more than 14g.

this is only my 2nd brew so im still very much a n00b.

dave.

Hi David,

If you don't feel like making the trip to the LHBS. My house beer these days is an OS Draught dry hopped with 15g of Cascade. It's got the nicest aroma.[love] The beer that I give to all my friends to try is a Canadian Blonde with 10g of Cascade for 15mins and another 10 dry hopped. It's nice and refreshing.[smile]

Chad

hey another quick question im brewing the IPA but the yeast i added was brigalow yeast (10g) all up, i then read that ale yeasts are top fermenting and lager yeasts are bottom fermenting, when i pitched the yeast it fell to the bottom pretty much straight away.. does this mean that it was a lager yeast and will it affect the final outcome?

Dave.

The terms, "top fermenting" and "bottom fermenting" are a bit misleading - fermentation occurs throughout the brew.

Brigalow yeast is likely to be an ale strain.

The brew may have some foam on top by now and you should be able to see activity occuring through the wall of the fermenter.

Archived