Coopers Community

European Lager

GaryF1

Just putting forth info about my latest brew, a basic European Lager, using Coopers #2 adjunct, and supplied yeast.

Currently living at a house which takes its water from rain water tanks- something I'm a bit wary of, having always brewed my beers from chlorinated scheme water.

The house also has solar hot water, but being winter, I've had to use the booster to get the shower temps upto the 50 degree mark.

Well, I gave the booster a good work out over night, thouroughly cleaned and sterilized the fermenter, made up the wort with #2 (using the hot solar water), sealed and covered and left for twenty four hours in a cool room of the house to drop to <20 C, before pitching the yeast.

Started pretty quick. The brew temp is around 16 degrees, and for those of you who know, the Euro Lager yeast is a special fella that prefers cool temps.

Now, 2 weeks later, the SG is 1010, so I figure, by the time I get off my shift work in five days time, I'll probably be ready to bottle.

As per the information in the booklet, there was most certainly a 'rotten eggs' smell, after about the first week, but this has since dissapaited. Samples out of the tub are now pure gold = she should be a good one. I've done the Euro Lager previous, definately a great 'winter beer', and the first one was just as good. I went to Germany in '06, and got to sample some great brews, and the Coopers Lager holds it's own in very good company.

Mates, I guess if I have any questions about Rain Water, maybe some of you have some answers. i.e. wwhat is the go?

Gaz

The TC Draught I just put down 2 weeks ago I was told had Lager and Ale yeast in the kit packet.

I was going to put the European lager down next and as I had spare sachets of both Lager and Ale yeast I was going to pitch both packets to get a faster ferment going. Expected temp in laundry will be 16 to 18 Degrees in Sydney inside.

Anyone got any thoughts on that?.

Hi Gaz

Ihave brewed 15 beers with rain water after it goes through a 5 micron filter. I have had no troubles and no bad brews. I have even brewed at 27 degrees and had no off smells etc. I may be lucky but really suspect the water is my best friend. I also don`t boil the water just straight from the tank.[biggrin]

I usually post positive (or anoying) threads but I have to say (PB2 help me) that I was disappointed with the Euro Lager kit yeast. It says that it will smell like eggs during the fermentation (wich is ok) and that the "fart" aroma will disappear after about 12 weeks. Well, I kept some that were suppose to be ready for my wife's delivery. Surprise, 13 weeks after, the "fart" like aroma is still there. Subtle... but present. Should I have wait longer? Coz right now, if I do that kit again, I will use a lager yeast that doesn't smell like that.

I'm drinking a european lager at the moment which has been in the bottle for 6 months and it is very nice, no rotten eggs smell either. As for water when I started brewing we were on tank water and never had any problems, our new house is supplied with water from a bore and have done about 6 brews, all perfect[happy]

Thanks for the input guys, great comments.

For the record...

The beer has been in the bottle for about 10 days now. I bottled in about 24 King Browns (all Coopers browns ;o) ) and 4 plastic, 1.25's.

Normally, I crack a plastic after about 10 days or so, just as a taster, to see how the brew is developing. Not the Euro Lager! The plastics, and presumably the glass, are flat i.e. a very slow developer. Then again, the temps are pretty low.

Out of the tub - a nice draught, only the faintest residual of rotten eggs, not unpleasant. Following Scottb12, I reckon this beer will be ready in 6 months or so (darn, I'm used to six weeks), which oddly enough, falls around Christmas time - strange one that.

All that said, my next brew will be a dark lager, with a touch of honey, a brew that brought forth accolades from the lads a few years back (it will be a special favour for a mate's b'day). Trouble is, I need a can of Crystal Malt - any thoughts?

Gaz

Archived