Coopers Community

Sugars

JarrodN

Just a quick one I was looking for some LDM in my cupboard the other day and found some coopers brewing sugar?? I am fairly familiar with dex, BE 1, BE 2 and LDM but what are the characteristics of brewers sugar I think it's a fairly simple sugar would it be a good replacement for dextrose??? and I have read a few recipes that contain crystal malt???? What is this I'm guessing its a liquid sugar of some sort but have never seen it in the shops.

Cooper's brewing sugar is 80% dextrose,20% maltodextrin. The maltodextrin won't ferment out,giving more mouth feel,& a sort of creaminess. Just a bit. I think it works pretty good.

Crystal malt is malted barley that has the sugars converted already,so it can be steeped,rather than mashed. It's in varying levels of roast,referred to as lovibond. You'll see it listed as "20L,60L" etc.

adding to Leonard's:

Crystal Malt is usually in grain form - it needs to be cracked (crushed slightly), steeped (soaked in water), strained then pasteurised (brought to the boil or thereabouts).

In Australia and most of the world, the colour of grain is described in EBC.[innocent]

Thanks that helps but I've only just started adding hops so when you say things like 'grain' 'levels of roast' and 'lovibond' I'm completely lost. Does crystal malt make big differences to the beer?

I think I'll probably give it a few months before I start trying this.

Jarrod, to use Crystal malt really isn't hard and makes a vast improvement on the beer. However, if you haven't done many kits then it is up to you whether you would rather get used to the basics first then when you have this, start adding grains and hops etc. to improve the beer.

"EBC" is used to describe the resulting color the particular crystal malt involved produces. "Lovibond" or "L" after the number describes the level of roast on the grain. So,for instance,you want a lighter color from the crystal,you'd use a 10L or 20L.

Amber or darker bit of color,you'd use maybe a 60L.

But you do get more body with it. So the larger the number,the darker the color to be had from it. This will tone the colors of the malt(s) involved.

Archived