Coopers Community

Hydrometer question

Damien E1

Hi guys,first time brewer here, I have a query about the hydrometer that came with my DIY Kit. I've had the beer fermenting for 5 days now and was looking around here and noticed that my OG of 1032 seemed rather low. I decided to test the meter on tap water and it came out at 995, when I've been told it should be 1000.

Does this mean I have a problem with the hydrometer, or is this some property of Yarra Valley Water?

The brew is the standard Lager + BE1 that came with the kit, and I've just tested the current gravity at 1010, and it tastes like beer!

Welcome to the forums Damien.

This could be the Hydrometer or the water (does that answer your question [lol] )

The Hydrometer measures the gravity of the liquid you put it in so if your water doesnt have as many particles, minerals etc as most it may produce a lower OG. In saying that my water sits at rounghly 1005 when I float the hydrometer.

Welcome Damien

I don't know the temp of your tap water but you should test the Hydrometer in water at 20C and it should read 1000.

It could just mean that you may not have disolved all the sugars. My reading was low on my first as well. I also didn't completely get all the goo out of the can. I do now :)

I made sure the water was at 20.

The can may have something to do with it now you mention it. Our can opener wasn't up to the task so I opened a few holes with a metal hole punch thing mum keeps in the kitchen. It worked well but it did mean that I couldn't scrape the last few bits out.

Thanks for the help guys

Archived