Coopers Community

Frozen Wort (UH-OH)

Trusty1

Hiya

So I put my lager in the fridge after reading about cold crashing from one of our esteemed members here, and turn the old fridge on (still haven't hooked up the temp controller). I check the temp after a day and it's still about 8C, so i just turn it to coldest. Between having two young kids, just starting a new job, renovating and having to travel to attend a funeral (plus there's the Mrs!) I don't get time to check it for 2 days, and when I get into the brew room, I find the bloody thing is frozen. ALL OF IT!

This shouldn't have too much impact on it, surely??

done this myself... no drama mate, just turn the fridge off... or better yet, hook up the temp contrller, let it return to a liquid state and away yuo go..

you will still have plenty of viable yeast to bottle condition.

it does freak you out though[lol]

I haven't done this myself but wouldn't the yeast cells have ruptured?

As Yob has experienced it, I will take it as it should be fine. [biggrin] But I assume only some of the yeast must be dead now so it may take a little while longer to ferment than usual.

I freaked the first time I did that same as the OP and wondered if Id killed them all..

I now think of it the same (though a bit more brutal) as cold conditioning.. I like to CC for 5-7 day at about 0 to 1'c

always plenty of yeasties to go around the bottle[cool] though at the moment I think that patience is required for carbing now anyway.. (Victoria) my cellar/bottle conditioning area sits between 11-12'c currently.

not ideal for the two ales I have in ATM.. maybe next year I will be able to do a few lagers at round this time, 3+ months to condition for a summer haul[whistling

Archived