Coopers Community

smells like eggs

JarrodN

Hello I'm pretty sure this has been answered before but I couldn't find it in the posts. This is my first brew inside my fridge and using glad wrap instead of an airlock. I checked my brew yesterday and noticed an egg smell, I have a feeling this is normal for a lager but not 100% sure.

A bowl of Bi-carb soda helps with the smells. Or this is another product call 'Smell Rid' or 'Odour Rid' or something like that you can get from the supermarket.

Lagers tend to give off a sulfur smell more than the Ales and as Muddy said the fridge, being a sealed insulated environment, will retain those smells more so than in the open. Nothing to worry about though.

I've got a lager that suffers from H2S, tasted awful.

I put it back on the shelf to age until Halloween.

I've since learned that CO2 will carry off the sulphur compounds during fermentation, provided that there's enough activity.

Hey thanks for the info. Its now been 2 weeks I just checked it and the beer still smells eggy I think it's a little better though I have been leaving the door open a bit to let it air out. I was expecting to keg it today but it seems to be fermenting a little slow as its only down to 1020 SG is this normal??

From what I have read your FG depends on a lot of factors like sugars etc used. I did a Euro lager with brew enhancer, it was in the fridge at around 12-14 deg for 3.5 weeks and from memory only reached about 1016. But it was stable at this FG suggesting it was fine to bottle. And the egg smell had completely gone too [bandit]

Sweet cheers Nath I will let it brew a bit longer as I think it's still fermenting but just a little slow and I was told that FG should be 1012 for this beer. I think I may just be a little impatient as I have only brewed ales so far and they were at the 20C mark and were all done in about 10 days.

Archived