Coopers Community

Reactivating commercial yeast - quick question

Ollie

Hi all,

So I plan to use my first re activated commercial yeast in my next pale ale I make.

I have never made one before and read Pauls notes on how to culture it. Seems all really simple but I have two questions that I am sure will sound very silly to any of you who have been doing this!

I will use the full six pack instead of just four bottles and transfer it into just one vessel for ease. When I pitch it do I just pour the entire amount into my mix at the end just as I would with a dry yeast?

Also how critical is it to have the yeast at the mid 20 range when cultivating it? Will it take longer if it is only say 18ish degrees in the room or will it simply not work? [pinched]

Cheers fellas! Interested to get your feedback!

Just chuck it all in Ollie but allow for the volume of liquid of the yeast when filling your fermentor - I've got a 2L softdrink bottle that I usually. If you can make sure to keep it somewhere obvious and every time you see the bottle give it a good swirl - the more you do this the better.

It should be ok at 18C. Keep it in the living area and you'll be fine. My living room is holding at 21C at the moment so I reckon as you are a stones throw away from me yours should be similar (and our place is colder than the average house at this time of year as we don't get any sun [crying] ).

Guessing you are south facing too then hey Muddy! Gotta love a cold house in winter! [annoyed]

Thanks for the input and good idea about the living room, I was being very limited in my thinking and was only considering placing it in my brew room (aka the study that I have taken over which the mrs just loves).

I know you said that you use a 2L bottle that seems pretty big for under a L of totla volume. Any reason you do this? I was just going to use a long neck?

Thanks for the feedback Muddy!p

Yep we're south facing - dug into the hill just under Queenscliff road [biggrin]

I use the 2L bottle as it makes it easier to get a good swirl happening. It also allows for a bit of foaming (not that you get much of this. It just makes things easier - I reckon a 1.25L would be doable (just) but not ideal.

What volume are you doing it to? I use the standard method which is 1L wort plus whatever the bottle dregs add.

My missus lets me keep the bottle next to the TV (which in our tiny place is a major thoroughfare). I've even caught her giving the bottle a swirl on occassion.

In PBs thread he said to use 600ml wit the sugar and then evenly pour it into the bottles. But as I am going to use one bottle I would of assumed it would be a volume under a L once made??

Assuming this do I just make the wort one less L to accommodate for the extra L of yeast I am adding?

Funny how the girls give us stick for doing these things but from time to time you catch them opening the fridge for look at the brews or pulling back the towel to check the temp sticker on the FV isn't it!

I haven't seen the method you describe.I tend to use the method decribed in an old Cooper's Club newsletter (PB2 pictured [biggrin] :

coopersyeast.png

I either do it as above or just use 100g of malt and drop the dex. I also just put it all into a 2L soft drink bottle as I mentioned earlier.

Archived