Coopers Community

Minimum temp for coopers kit yeasts

Pistnbroke

Hi

Just wondering what the minimum temp is that yeast will remain active at (Average ale yeast). The kit says dont go below 21, but ive been told that it is possible to brew with these at lower temps. I am trying to avoid using my heat belt, as i'm finding it hard to find time to keep an eye on the temp and don't have a thermostat for it (have had a few instances where it's been cold and had to use it overnight for fear of the yeast going to sleep, but have forgotten to turn it off when I went to work, only to come home and realise the temp peaked at 27C!! Ouch!)

the temp peaked at 27C!! Ouch!)

Yup.. thats not good man.. yeastie will produce some nasty stuff at those temps.. let it age though, it will get better with age.

Ale = 16 - 20'c depending on type of yeast.. The kit yeast is fairly user friendly though and forgiving.. The flavour of your beer is mostly produced in the first part of fermentation, so if your brew was almost finished I wouldnt worry as much, try to remember that yeast are very sensetive to temp fluctuation. The more even you can keep the temps, the cleaner the taste from it.. there are recent thread HERE that we were discussing temperature control.

Good luck

it's a damn fine number indeed and before I had full temp control its what I used to aim for. The thermal mass of 23 litres doesnt want to change quickly so if you are vigilant you can general catch it before it gets away from you..

Now that I have full control, and for example use a US-05 yeast I will ferment at +/- 0.3 @ 16 until the end of high krausen. give it a few days more and ramp up slowly by 0.5'c increments till I get to 20'c and then let finish.. never had a stalled one doing this.. in my opinion it's the temp fluctuation that caused me.. [innocent] loads of headaches..[lol]

ive not used that particulare yeast, but the general rule of thumb is that the lower (and more evenly) you can ferment you will end up with a cleaner, crisper beer, less fusal alcahols etc so yes I would say that it is correct.

Yob

I've seen some of the folks over here take the cooper's gold yeast sachet down to 66F (about 17C). They claim it makes a really clean' date='crisper brew. What say you?[/quote']

Is THIS the yeast you are refering to as the Gold Sachet?... if so then that is just the standard kit yeast.

The kit yeast will ferment at ~17C but you wouldn't want to go much lower than that in fear of sending the yeast to sleep.

Hi Guys,

These days the temperature in the brewery is a constant 14C. I keep the FVs insulated and huddled close together. The brews are finishing up just fine. I have been leaving them in the FV an extra 7 days (21 in total). Bottle conditioning takes an extra week as well. Whether brewing at these temperatures makes a cleaner, crisper brew only time will tell....[cool]

Chad

P.S. I did put a pilsner down today due to the low temps.[bandit]

Archived