Coopers Community

Flat Bottom Container for Stir Plate

Muddy Waters

Just wondering if anyone here uses a stir plate and if they have any concrete ideas for a cheap solution to finding a flat bottomed bottle or container preferably somewhere between 2 & 3L?

I know an Erlenmeyer Flask is ideal but I am looking for a tightarse version. I'm not looking to heat and cool anything so just basic glass is ok.

Over to the brains trust [cool]

I have an old Pablo Coffee jar that would/will work a treat when I get around to making a stir plate...

if you can find one that is.. Op shops mate, few bucks..

I find I can rarely walk past an op shop these days without checking out all their glassware and trying to fit processes to them[lol]

Hey Muddy,

I know there are no such things as dumb questions just dumb answers so I feel pretty safe asking this [biggrin]

What is a stir plate? And what would you use it for? I am intrigued! - Sorry if this is a little off topic [pinched]

You use it for stirring [innocent]

The smartarse in me wants to leave it at that but nobody likes a smartarse [lol]

You put a magnetic stir bar in a yeast starter (or similar) and place it on the stir plate which has a spinning magnetic this causing the stir bar to spin in the liquid. It helps give a higher yeast count due to constant aeration.

Hey Muddy... I know someone who uses the internal 'glass' part of a coffee plunger. It's flat bottomed, is resistant to thermal shock, and is a bit cheaper than an erlenmeyer. I think they only go up to 2L though [rightful]

I've looked at those bill. The biggest I have is about 1L and to buy one it is nearly the same price as a flask. I might look for an el cheapo plunger in the junk shops - I haven't seen any around bigger than mine (coffee plunger that is [lol])

Thanks for the tip.

I have been using a 2L bottle from a garden pump sprayer ($6 from Go-Lo), though the base is slightly concave, it works fine. Try the V8 juice bottle first...

OP/Junk stores in Newtown are known as ANTIQUE shops and damned expensive!

Archived