Coopers Community

boiling extracts

Dave

Hi all, i've been looking at slowly moving away from kits and experimenting with extracts to give me a bit more scope in customizing my beers. But whenever i look at how to do extract recipes they talk about boiling the extract and i want to know why? i see some stuff about getting proteins to clump but hasn't this been done when the extract was made? i understand why hops need to be boiled but shouldn't extract be just like a kit and all ready to go?

Hay Dave.. what they mean is referring to hop additions in boil time say 60-90 min for a bitterness addition and combinations like 30, 15, 5 and flame out. for aroma and flavour.

this is becauese the extract comes to you unbittered or flavoured.. you can easily taste the difference when you lick your finger from the goop..

yob

Hi Yob, Thanks for that, but i get it with the hops side of things. But when i look at videos and read john palmer ect they all boil the extract but from what i can understand it's only the hops that need to be boiled. For example if i liked a very sweet beer with just a bit of hop aroma, couldn't i just plonk extract straight into fermenter and boil just the hops for 10 mins to add to extract in the fermenter. It seems to me like that would be easier than doing a large boil of both extract and hops. The only thing i can think of is that they need to "melt" together in the boil? I would have thought though that they would just mix during the ferment.

Hi,

this is the exact question that i was asking Paul the other day in this post:

http://www.coopers.com.au/the-brewers-guild/talk-brewing?g=posts&t=2958

I'm still not so certain about why it is necessary to boil the extract.

I bumped into a guy i know today that owns a brewery here in scotland (williams brothers, great beers) and asked him about this. He said that the isomerised alpha acids which cause the bittering effect are released differently in the presence of the sugary wart. But, despite this, it shouldn't be such a big deal if you didn't boil it all together.

My guess is that without boiling the extract and hops together you won't get perfect beer, but you should still get something drinkable. In fact, i think i'm going to try this sometime soon

as above it has to do with Hop utilisation in a wort of 'x' will be better than in just water.

it also should be said that some of the flavour and aroma are driven off by the ferment which is why many of people (myself included) also do a dry hop addition once high krausen has dropped a bit.

yob

Thanks Yob, yes i must confess that section down the bottom on utilization was the one bit of the book i skipped [pinched] guess if i'd been more thoughre i wouldn't have needed to ask the question. But there was a lot of numbers in that chapter and numbers just arn't my thing [pouty]

.... also to fill the house with a wonderful, warm malty aroma[love]

The numbers are easy, just remember approx 100 grams of dry extract per litre or 130 grams liquid extract per litre will get you around 1.040 for good hop utilisation.

6 litres is recommended but more is better; less will need more hops...

Archived