Coopers Community

Climate Control

I keep my fermentor in an inside closet thats dark and until recently held a fairly controlable temperature. Now that's it's beginning to warm up here in the states I've noticed my temps around the fermentor getting close to 23-25 degrees. I can turn on the house air conditioning and get it back down to 19-20, but don't have the time for the second job that would be required to pay the electricity bill to keep it at that level.[biggrin]

Anyone have a good method to keeping the air around the fermentor at an acceptable level when it's hot out?

The quick answer is, ideally put it in a fridge with temp control.

1003717u.jpg

If you are unable to put it in a fridge, I know of people that strap cordial bottles full of ice to their fermenters. Other methods used are, water baths and even getting an old towel to hang over the top and have the bottom in a bucket of water and if need be have a fan blowing onto the towel.

You may even be able to open the door of your closet and have a fan in there circulating the air or it could be as simple as moving it to a cooler part of the house.

Just a few ideas above but it depends on what you have available to you that you can use. Probably an easy way in your case may be just a water bath with frozen plastic bottles???

Thanks Bill! I thought about using the extra fridge I have with the thermostat turned to a minimum. It looks like the warmest setting I can get it at is 10 degrees. The bath ideas sound like a possibiity as well.

The closet I use has the house air conditioning unit in it so it's probably the coolest place in the house. With the air running it is normally 19 -21 degrees, when it's not 22-25. The only thing that concerns me is the varation in temps.

Looks like I have some figuring to do [annoyed]

Mike - As a short term measure I'd recommend using the spare fridge but don't turn it on. Just put some frozen bottles of water in there to bring down the temp. Replace the bottles morning and night (or when necessary) to keep your beer at a good temp.

Mike - As a short term measure I'd recommend using the spare fridge but don't turn it on. Just put some frozen bottles of water in there to bring down the temp. Replace the bottles morning and night (or when necessary) to keep your beer at a good temp.

Good idea Muddy, I'll try that

I just posted this link to another thread but seems appropriate for here too.. for ultimate control and alot less stuffing about (in the long term) and you have a working fridge have a look at one of STC 1000

I now have 2 of these and dont know how I lived without one.. I used to have a fridge on a timer but was alot of stuffing about... The beuty of these things are that they have dual control, HEAT and COLD so overnight the heat pad may be switched on and during the day the fridge will swith on maintaining ferment temps to within +/- 0.3'c (user can set)

soooo feckn awesome

Yob

Archived