Coopers Community

Storing Hops

Stewie Rivers

I have been converted to storing them in the freezer (I used to be lazy and just put them in the fridge [crying] ).

I keep mine in a zip lock bag. The snack size that would fit about half a sandwich are perfect. I write the variety of hop, the AA and the date on the bag and freeze them. I have multiple varieties of hops so I store all the little baggies in a food storage container in the back of the freezer.

Hey Stewie,

Believe it or not I've actually heard of people using a drinking straw to suck to air out of the zip lock bag as they are sealing it! I'd say that's going too far but there are those who'd disagree!

I still have mine in the beer fridge but the freezer is definitely the better place to go. They are in a zip lock bag then in a sealed "tupper wear" container.

If they are in the kitchen fridge then make sure they are well sealed as they tend to leach into dairy products.

I usually don't buy them till 1-2 weeks before brew day. Then,I put them on the top shelf of the freezer door. I put all yeast packets in the little butter cubby on the fridge door which also has a clear sliding door to it,LME's in the fridge as well. Works great that way.

Archived