Coopers Community

Ok to add small amount of white sugar?

Pistnbroke

Gday

Still have alot to learn about home brewing, and after a bit of guidance. Ive got my 2nd batch on (1st one was the lager that came with the DIY kit, now got mexican cerv on.). I am a little dissapointed with the alcohol content, it's a bit low for my liking (Lager was OG 1038, ended up 1010 at completion of fermentation using BE1, and used BE2 with the cerv, I have since done a bit of reading after I put the cerveza down and realised that is because I only put the 1kg pack in and havent added any extra fermentables to compensate...DOH! Oh well keep on learning and trying!).

Since I already have it in the cupboard and doesn't get used much, I was just wondering if I could safely add a small amount, say 250-500 grams of white sugar without impacting too heavily on the taste just to give it a bit of extra kick? I dont mind a little bit of bitterness being a draught drinker.

A good idea to dissolve it in a cup of hot water first then simply pour it into the brew, no stirring. If you add it in dry form it will potentially cause lots of CO2 gas to break out of solution and foam all over the place [pinched]

Archived