Coopers Community

Next Brew

So I bottled my first batch today (Coopers IPA) test sample had nice color, smell, and taste. Anxious to see how it turns out once 2nd fermentation is complete. I followed the recommended recipe on the insert and by my calculations it's APV is around 4.5%. 1Kg LGM, 300mg dextrose, and the IPA mix. Would that be about right?

I mixed the Lager included in the kit today and wanted to play with the recipe a little. Added the 1KG of Brewers sugar included and also added 400mg of Dextrose. I understand it could dry it out a little, but it was the only ingredients I had available. Im not much of a lager guy so we'll see how it turns out.

My question is, after the Lager I want to try a Batch of Irish Stout (My 2nd favorite beer). I'd like to Up the APV a little and was curious if using Brew enhancer 2 would be the recommended ingredient? If so how much would be best to get around a 6.5 - 7% APV, or is it even really needed?

Thanks, Mike

So I bottled my first batch today (Coopers IPA) test sample had nice color' date=' smell, and taste. Anxious to see how it turns out once 2nd fermentation is complete. I followed the recommended recipe on the insert and by my calculations it's APV is around 4.5%. 1Kg LGM, 300mg dextrose, and the IPA mix. Would that be about right?[/quote']

I assume LGM is a typo meaning LDM?... also assuming you filled to 23L with water then you should have about 5.3%

I mixed the Lager included in the kit today and wanted to play with the recipe a little. Added the 1KG of Brewers sugar included and also added 400mg of Dextrose. I understand it could dry it out a little, but it was the only ingredients I had available. Im not much of a lager guy so we'll see how it turns out.

Dextrose is a type of brewing sugar. What was the other "brewing sugar" you used? sounds like you may have put in 1.4kg which would make it pretty thin and dry without any added malt etc.

The Lager that comes with the kit has an Ale yeast with it so when fermenting at ale temps it won't actually result in a true lager. Nevertheless, it turns out a nice drop afterall.

My question is, after the Lager I want to try a Batch of Irish Stout (My 2nd favorite beer). I'd like to Up the APV a little and was curious if using Brew enhancer 2 would be the recommended ingredient? If so how much would be best to get around a 6.5 - 7% APV, or is it even really needed?

Thanks, Mike

If you provide the recipe you are planning to use people can then give you an answer for this.

So I bottled my first batch today (Coopers IPA) test sample had nice color' date=' smell, and taste. Anxious to see how it turns out once 2nd fermentation is complete. I followed the recommended recipe on the insert and by my calculations it's APV is around 4.5%. 1Kg LGM, 300mg dextrose, and the IPA mix. Would that be about right?[/quote']

I assume LGM is a typo meaning LDM?... also assuming you filled to 23L with water then you should have about 5.3%

Thanks Bill, yes filled it to 23L, so looks like I miscalculated the alcohol content. Thanks again

Yes that was a typo..thanks for correcting. The brewing sugar is the kit sugar I used.

The Irish stout recipe will be the one with the kit, although I've not yet seen it.

Thanks!

If you meanthe sugar that comes with the DIY kit then that is BE1 and I believe it is 600g Dextrose + 400g Maltodexrine.

Sorry I am not familiar with the Irish Stout recipe that comes with the kit.

Archived