Coopers Community

when to dry hop?

JohnV3

I know I am supposed to add the dry hops once fermentation has completed....the fermenter has stopped bubbling (it's been a week) however when I took off the lid off my Black IPA, there was still a thick layer of krausen (??)...should I wait another couple of days for it to reside before I throw in the bag of pellets or can I just toss 'em in now? Thanks in advance.

it's been 8 days now and my krausen is still sitting there...I had a SG of 1056 and I used a wyeast american Ale II....I would have thought all the activity would be over by now...especially with the room at about 20 degrees or thereabouts...[crying]

hi john,

this is an interesting point for me.

i think the fact your krausen is still there is a good thing. to me it means "things" are happening.

you mentioned the room temperature was 20C. room tempurature and temp. of the brew are two different things. i think that the brew generates it's own heat as long as fermentation is still happening. generally 2-3C warmer than the room's temperature.

these days i am brewing at 13-15C (room temp.)with cooper's ale yeast. the temp. of the brew is 17-18C. the brew in the primary is a can blonde/BE1 @ 5 days and the krausen is just fading now.

anyways, throw the hops in and she'll be right, mate![biggrin]

chad

Just took a reading....still a very high 1018, I thought it would have been lower or will it continue to go down over the next week or so (I've never taken a mid-fermentation reading!!)

I usually throw the hops in at the tail end of fermentation and while the krausen is still present and it works fine.

Are you sure it is krausen? Sometimes you get something like in the pic below that just refuses to go. I can't remember what beer this photo was from but it had been in the fermentor for at least 2 weeks and as I'd never had that happen before I was a bit concerned. Anyway, I bottled away as it was well and truly at final gravity and all was well.

krausen.jpg

• 1 month later...

The Black IPA ended up at a whopping 85 IBUs and is awesome. Dry hopped it using galaxy (first time for me, I'm a cascade kind of guy). This recipe is definitely a keeper. However, when I pour it into the glass it has a very frothy head. This was the same with my other IPA and the one thing they have in common is the fact they both had a can of Thomas Coopers Select IPA - anybody else experienced this?

• 2 weeks later...

All the ales I've made from my 2nd brew on have had a good velvety,thick head. My APA was the best so far. It had a color & flavor like DFH's IPA's malt profile. So I used that recipe with a new hop profile to make my own IPA. The blow off is chugging like mad now. Now if I could just get the temp down...

All the ales I've made from my 2nd brew on have had a good velvety' date='thick head. My APA was the best so far. It had a color & flavor like DFH's IPA's malt profile. So I used that recipe with a new hop profile to make my own IPA. The blow off is chugging like mad now. Now if I could just get the temp down...[/quote']

Freeze a couple of cordial bottles and tie them with a towel to the fermenter. This should help.

I went & bought one of those 12" turbo fans,& trained it on my fermenter,covered with a wet,but not drippy tee shirt. I got it down to 24C,just too hot around here lately. gotta get it lower,now that initial fermentation is done.[crying]

Archived