Coopers Community

Fermentation Question

Im brewing my first batch of beer, Coopers IPA, and it's been in the fermenter for 5 days now at approx. 25 degrees. The bubbling has stopped for almost 24 hrs now so I checked my final gravity and it is 1012. My understanding is it needs to be between 1008-1010. Do I leave it in the fermenter for a couple more days even though there is no more bubbling, or should I bottle it?

Thanks!

Mike

The general rule of thumb is having two FG samples with the same reading two days in a row, then you are ready to go.

BUT...an even bigger rule of thumb is don't rush these things. I don't even bother testing FG until about 10 days. Gives things time to work and all the bits and pieces settle in the bottom.

My recent lager was in there for 3 weeks as took nearly two weeks to reach FG brewing at 13 deg! Was nice and clear when I bottled it[cool]

Hi Mike - Firstly ignore the bubbling it doesn't mean anything.

All sounds good but don't rush things patience is the key. I'd leave it for another week to make sure fermentation is complete and to let the beer clear up a bit.

EDIT: It seems Nath beat me to it [biggrin]

Welcome to the Forums Mike.

All of the boys above have covered most things. Another good thing to try if possible would be to try and keep the temperature around the 20C mark. If using Coopers Ale yeast, it seems to make a nicer beer around that temp.

All in all, I am sure you will love your beer, as we all love ours.

Archived