Coopers Community

Problem with a lager

91abv_chris

G'Day everyone -

My first lager didn't come out just right, even after an uneventful brewing...

From what I can tell, it's got a residual hydrogen sulfide in it, giving it a most unpleasant sulfur smell/taste.

The only remedy I've read about is just to give it time lagering.

It's in the fridge now under 5C, but how long can I expect it to take before it improves?

12 or 14 rewards, at any rate (it was a small experimental batch)...Thanks Muddy, as always.

Any insight on how to prevent the hydrogen sulfide buildup?

Less headroom in the primary? Shorten the primary time to a week and add a secondary?

Chris, the best remedy may be time in storage at 18C or above...

If you give specifics for this brew regarding recipe, method, yeast type and qty pitched, best before dates, fermentation method, etc. we might be able to suggest where things went off the rails. [biggrin]

This is probably where it went wonky...it was one of those Mr Beer recipe kits (I hadn't discovered the superiorness of Coopers yet at that time), so I don't have specifics on the actual can ingredients.

Was a can of their 'cowboy lager' hopped extract mix and a can of the 'pale export' unhopped plus a handful or so of dextrose in the barrel fermenter. OG was about 1040, IIRC.

No idea on the yeast strain, but the instructions said to ferment at 20-24C (which now seems a bit high for a real lager yeast). Actual temp was closer to the upper end, but stayed pretty constant.

My next lager will almost certainly be a Coopers

Archived