Coopers Community

APA Low OG

captsensible23

Hey Guys,

Just got back into brewing after moving house. Since room is sparse since the last house, I thought I'll make an easy brew. Just the Pale Ale and the recipe Coopers provided on the net.

But used BE1 instead of 2. (Stupid BigW didnt have any on shelf).

I'm concered about the low OG. I got 1.030, just using the tin and 1KG BE1.

Does that sound about right? what will the FG reach brewing at 21c?

Cheers guys

Hi Capt,

For future reference if you can\u2019t get BE2 and you want to make a Coopers Pale Ale just use 2 x Australian Pale Ale beer kits made to 25 litres and both sachets of yeast (or even better a recultured coopers commercial yeast). BE1 really wont do it justice as it has no malt.

I\u2019d guesstimate that for 21L you should have an OG of around 1042 and an FG of about 1014.

Oops sorry mate. For some reason I read you post and thought you mentioned 21L but looking back I see it was 21c.

I really should pay more attention [pinched] ...I'll change my estimates to an OG of 1038 and an FG 1012. All that maltodextrin in BE1 will give you the higher FG.

Oops sorry mate. For some reason I read you post and thought you mentioned 21L but looking back I see it was 21c.

I really should pay more attention [pinched] ...I'll change my estimates to an OG of 1038 and an FG 1012. All that maltodextrin in BE1 will give you the higher FG.

lol yeah I thought it was 21L too and didn't think of the Maltodex so Muddy's figure is about right [pinched]

unfortunatly its hard for me to change temps while its fermenting. I'm using a fish tank heater and i dont want to fish it out to change temps and drop it back it. it was set to 21c but next brew ill change the temp on the heater lower if its gonna heat to 26 while set on 21.

Unless theres a way i can get it out and change while not spoiling the brew

I have a small fish tank heater in the actual wort. I've drilled a hole in the side of the fv, cut the wire for the heater, put a grommet on the hole, bogged it all up and re attached the wire.

I haven't had a problem with the heater and it regulates the temp.

I make sure everything is sterilised before commencing brewing, and the heater is suited to be submerged.

Apart from that, would there be any other reason thats not a good idea?

cheers

Oh dear. This doesn't sound too good at all.

You really need to get that temp down and that heater out of the wort. As Muddy said, poor yeasties they would be stressing out something cronic.

Only a matter of time before the inevitible imo.

If you have trouble raising the temp, try putting it in a small cupboard or a fridge if you have one. Just put a light bulb/lamp on a timer in the cupboard with the FV and that will raise the temp enough.

At this time, space is very limited. But so far I have no problems and everything seems to going right gravity wise.

I understand the need to limit the things that touch the brew, and will keep all these things into consideration when I am able to expand my little brewery.

But at my old house I had 3 fermentors crackin' for like a year and all had heaters, and every thing was fine. All the brews tasted great.

As soon as something goes wrong heater wise. I'll look at my available options.

Cheer

Archived