Coopers Community

Specific gravity

MichaelH23

Welcome to the world of home brewing mate. With my brews they all vary.As an example my last Pale Ale started at 1036 and finished at 1010. I leave my brews in the fermenter for 2 weeks and then bottle. This gives it a bit of time to clear up. Hope you have success and most importantly have fun.[biggrin]

Welcome to the world of champions Michael [biggrin]

There are estimates for expected gravity based on ingredients. There are too many variables for anything other than an estimate but it is usually fairly close. It all depends on yeast, ingredients, brewing temps, brewing practices.

So yes, there are usual readings but they differ greatly depending on ingredients. If you need estimates/guesstimates for a specific beer we will need ingredients, volume, yeast etc.

Thanks to you RoyG & MW for your quick replies. With the right specs on I found the OG & FG figures on the supplied brewing card. I was worried that I did not mix properly as there seemed to be white sediment on every flat surface of the brewtube within an hour. I may be suffering first born fretting syndrome though.

From what I've noticed, for a brew mixed to 23l a can will add 20 points to the SG and 1kg of sugar will ad 16 points to SG. The FG will depend on the type of sugar you use, eg maltodextrin or lactose won't ferment out 100%. If your FG (same reading 2 days running) is below 1010 you're probably right to go, especially if you are using PETs.

Does it matter if fg doesn't fall below 1010 ? I have done a few brews that haven't now & all have been good. Ive recently started drinking a cerveza , its only about 2 wks old but it tastes really , really great.Made it with BE2 & the fsg wouldnt fall below 1012 @ the 6 day mark @ 24 deg, so on good advice from "Frank" @ Coopers I bottled it anyway. (No Probs).

And so if what you add to your mix can alter sg (og & fg)& I've used 2 hydrometers (Brigalow & Stevensons Reeves) both read The same in 22 deg water (1002)does anything else effect readings ?

Hi Peter , yeh from what old hands @ the craft are saying I think you are spot on as I have been using BE's & LDM's alot which as Anthony mentions don't completly ferment out maybe... (Paul ? are we correct mate ?)

And thanks for the tip but I have been decanting the sample back & forth 3 or 4 times between a couple of glasses before putting it into the sample tube to degass it.Then spinning the hydrometer to get any remaining bubbles off it.

I'd been wondering if the sugars hadn't completly fermented out of my brews & yet they have been tasting like medal winners & still plenty alcoholic..[happy]

Ta again

Damo

I've had two brews based on the OS lager kit come out with an FG of 1.012. The 1st started life at OG 1.048,the second,at an OG of 1.044. They were 5.3% & 4.8%ABV,respectively. The first used brewing sugar,the second plain extra light DME & 2 hop additions. So 1.012 is just fine! It leaves more malty goodness for us to enjoy! No worries,m8. Here's a lil inspiration,1st & 2nd pale ales;http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss71/unionrdr/family%20fun/PICT00041.jpg///http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss71/unionrdr/family%20fun/summerpale22.jpg

Yeah,they were both bottled with Cooper's carb drops. They work so well,I have no real desire to do it any other way.[love] I used a mix of bottles from Germany-Paulaner 11.2oz,to 12oz from rogue,Sam Adams,Michelob amber bock,Sierra Nevada,& many other craft beers that all use pop top bottles. My favorites are the German Paulaner bottles I saved from the Salvator doppel bock,& Hefeweitzen. They are a sort of dark amber with a slight green cast,like clean motor oil sort of color. And they have embossed busts of bearded monks around the shoulder of the bottle. But it was interesting that the FG on both were the same. Just the OG was higher on the 1st one,using Cooper's brewing sugar. The second one was a bit lower OG,due to my using 3lbs of plain extra light DME in place of the 1kg of brewing sugar. You'd think the DME would give a higher OG,but it clearly doesn't.

Yeah' date='they were both bottled with Cooper's carb drops. They work so well,I have no real desire to do it any other way.[love'] I used a mix of bottles from Germany-Paulaner 11.2oz,to 12oz from rogue,Sam Adams,Michelob amber bock,Sierra Nevada,& many other craft beers that all use pop top bottles. My favorites are the German Paulaner bottles I saved from the Salvator doppel bock,& Hefeweitzen. They are a sort of dark amber with a slight green cast,like clean motor oil sort of color. And they have embossed busts of bearded monks around the shoulder of the bottle. But it was interesting that the FG on both were the same. Just the OG was higher on the 1st one,using Cooper's brewing sugar. The second one was a bit lower OG,due to my using 3lbs of plain extra light DME in place of the 1kg of brewing sugar. You'd think the DME would give a higher OG,but it clearly doesn't.

Unless it wasn't mixed up fully prior to sampling. Has happened to most, if not all of us.

Archived