Coopers Community

Racking Beer

jeet

Hi all, I am new to the site, and new to brewing. I have many questions, and in time, hope to be able to provide many answers.

I currently have a Coopers English bitter in open primary fermentation at 21 degrees. This is the seventh day (I was planning on racking yesterday, but things came up). My question is, I am planning on racking to a carboy to produce a cleaner beer. Is this a recommended practice, and if so, how long before I should bottle? I have heard that leaving a beer too long could produce a sour taste.

Cheers,

Derek

That's wrong leaving it in primary can do some good things. It takes as long as it takes to get down to FG. Can'y listen to all things in the instructions. It may go fast,it may take twice as long. Yeast has no time table. 1 week isn't long enough. After you reach a stable FG,give it a week or more to clean up it's by products. The yeast will settle out more too. When it clears to a slight haze,prime the batch (or the bottles with cooper's carb drops),& bottle it up. Let it sit for 3-4 weeks at 70F for average gravity beers. Then 5 days in the fridge to get them clear again after initial cool down.

hi jeet,

my method is to rack from primary FV to one of two glass carboys (with an airlock[bandit] ) after 4 to 6 days at 21C once the high krausen has died down. i do this for a few reasons.

1 to help clear the beer before bottling

2 to free up my primary for the next batch (key when trying to keep the brewery active.)

3 to place the brew in a closed FV to finish. this allows me more latitude for bottling day(anywhere between 2 and 3 weeks)

4 glass carboys are clear so they let you see if the beer is clear. and they are better for storing your beer for longer periods. (less oxidization)

my beers are normally finished and ready to bottle after two weeks.

chad

Welcome to the Brewers Guild, Jeet!

I currently have a Coopers English bitter in open primary fermentation at 21 degrees.

When fermenting using the "open" method, you should rack it into a carboy once fermentation has slowed or bottle it as soon as fermentation is complete. Do you have anything covering the brew?

Archived