Coopers Community

Wheat Beer Consensus?

craigb12

I'm putting down a wheat beer tomorrow, and I'm probably going to use:

1x wheat beer kit

1x tin of wheat malt

and either the WB safeale yeast, or the kit yeast.

But here's the question: i'm going to add some coriander seed and orange zest; is there a consensus on how much to use? Also, do you simmer it for a while, strain it, and then add the water, or do you just throw the spice and zest straight in the fermenter?

I'm not wanting it to be overpowering, but i'd like there to be a bit of flavour to it

I have no idea of the amount to use but I have friends that have just thrown it into the FV and they haven't had any problems.

Their beer taste like shite [sick] but they have had no issues with infection that I know of. However, personally I would ensure it was steralized before doing it but they want to run the gauntlet imo it's only a matter of time before the inevitable.

WB-06 will give more overt wheat beer characters [love]

You could start conservatively and use this recipe (old club newsletter Jan '06):

Wheat Beer Kit

1kg of Wheat Malt Extract

300g Dextrose

Zest from one orange

2 tspn coriander seeds

Crush the coriander seed to help release the aromatics. In about 1 litre of water bring to the boil the dextrose, orange zest and coriander then leave to steep for about 20 to 30 mins. Strain into the FV.

The Wheat Beer kit is very low in bitterness so use only 1kg of wheat malt as 1.5kg tends to leave it too sweet.

To make a Ho-garden(hoegaarden) like clone wheat beer use wyeast 3944 and ferment warmer 75F+. Tried a few wheat recipe clones but only came close to hoeg flavors with the 3944 yeast and higher temps.

Also, there are two types of coriander, you want the green Indian lemony type and not the brown, round, soapy type.

Thanks guys, i've put it down a few hours ago.

I was wondering: do you think it's worth stirring the yeast back into suspension before kegging it? I don't want the wheat beer to clear in the keg after a month or so.

Assuming you plan to naturally condition the keg - just prior to placing in the fridge, turn the keg upside down or roll it around on the floor to resuspend the yeast evenly through the beer. Chill for at least 24hrs before serving. [cool]

Archived