Coopers Community

Pitching yeast dry vs slury

phill61525228291

Hi all,

Just about to bottle my first brew and keen to start another one and I am indecisive as to whether I should pitch with the dry yeast from the packet or add some of the sediment from the previous one(200ml) or both. The yeast is an ale one that came with the kit.

Thank

Phil

Phil,

If the yeast you are thinking of repitching is the packet yeast (not a specialty yeast purchased seperately) you are probably best to pitch a new packet of yeast as you are guaranteed yeast health and number (assuming it is in date and stored cool) and there is no risk of adding wild yeast or other greeblies.

Either way is likely to work though!

Thanks for the replies. Once I get an appreciation of the subtitles of each yeast strain on the beer I can start doing this. I read though an interesting article where a brewer could tailor the flavors of his beer by controlling the temperature of the fermentation matching those from different yeast strains while using the same strain all the time.However this will require very accurate temperature control of the whole process.

Regards

Phil

Hi guys,

Does reusing the yeast from a previous brew improve the beer in any way. I only recently heard that this could be done and was wondering what are the advantages of this method over pitching the dry yeast.

I've heard that the fermentation starts quicker and so finishes quicker but in the two batches I have done so far I have pitched the yeast dry and have been very happy with the results and didnt mind the 2 week wait.

Any info on advantages/ disadvantages between the two methods would be appreciated.

Cheers

Ger

Hi guys,

Does reusing the yeast from a previous brew improve the beer in any way. I only recently heard that this could be done and was wondering what are the advantages of this method over pitching the dry yeast.

I've heard that the fermentation starts quicker and so finishes quicker but in the two batches I have done so far I have pitched the yeast dry and have been very happy with the results and didnt mind the 2 week wait.

Any info on advantages/ disadvantages between the two methods would be appreciated.

Cheers

Ger

One of the advantages I see is when you have a good yeast by reusing the same yeast is a money saver. People who do AG do this quite regularly to help reduce costs. They then culture it and can make many starters from the one good yeast. I have heard of some people doing it more than 20 times and reproducing good results.

Sorry Gerard,

I missed your post. As Bill said if I was going to do this it would purely depend on the yest that I used in the brevious batch. If I used the kit yeast in the previous batch, it wouldn't do a great deal to use it in the next batch (as you are probably pitching the same yeast into it anyway).

Although if I was using the Coopers yeast that I had reactivated from the bottle I would be inclined to do this. I would also use this if I had purchased another yeast that I like to use.

one of the advantages of pitching a recultured yeast, even if it was from 'just' a coopers pack yeast, you will generally and when done properly, yield a higher yeast count. As Paul has said numerous times, beer is a by product of the yeast farm.

Temperature definitely affects the end product regarding flavour (taste). If you can brew at the appropriate temp for the yeast being used it certainly helps when trying to achieve a certain style.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived