Coopers Community

Mould in Tops

weggl

Because of the lack of stock at Big W I am forced sometimes to go to my LHBS shop to purchase PET bottles, they sell Tun bottles with white tops. Incidentally the Tun bottles are marked 750 lm whereas the Coopers are marked 740mml, why?

I noticed when examining these white tops after use, that mould is present on the inside of the thread, now if it is sometimes present on the white tops then it must also be present on the black tops. The problem with the black tops is that you can\u2019t see the mould. If it is present on the tops it must also be on the thread on the neck of the bottle.

This mould is caused by possible a drip of beer getting onto the bottle thread while bottling. Even if the tops are soaked in sanitizer it does not remove the mould and the bottle thread would still have the mould present. I find that the only way this mould can be removed is to scrub the inside of the tops with a toothbrush.

So my question is does the sanitizer kill the mould? I don\u2019t think so.

The next question is what to do about it? The only way i can see is to scrub out each top and the thread on the neck of each bottle.

Warren

Gday Warren. I have used both brands of bottles and have never had this problem. As a matter of fact the last brew down I didn`t even sanitize the bottles just washed in water and filled them up.I would think a sanitizer would kill the mould but in your case obviously not which brings me to, what sanitizer are you using? In the past I stuck to the Coopers recommend of a capful of bleach. I have had a small amount of mould around the fermenter top thread but a scrub with toothbrush and bleach fixed that. Seems a lot of work at thirty bottles a time. I would suspect the drying and draining process is the main problem.

Coopers PET bottles have a capacity of 740ml.

A toothbrush and detergent should remove the mould. Then rinse thoroughly in hot water, shake them dry and place in the oven at about 40C to dry them out completely.

Ideally - work clean, avoiding spills and keep things dry.

Stew,

I am not saying that this happens on every bottle, but i noticed a couple had it and the only reason i saw it was because it was inside a white top. If this can happen on white tops it sure can happen on black ones, but you cannot see it.

Little bottlers alwaws drip because the beer on the outside of the tube slides down and drips. Is a drip gets on the neck of the bottle then mould will grow in the threads, because the inside of the threads are not airtight.

So unless the whole bottle is cleaned in clorine that mould will always be there. Bleach is clorine.

Well,it comes down to cleaning 30 PET bottles & caps,or about 70 12oz'rs of their labels,gunk,etc. I just did that last Sunday. Took hours to get done. I've got to get a large Rubbermaid tub,fill it with PBW,& let'em soak for 1-2 days. The labels float off,& glue,etc is loosened. I could then just have the wife get a bottle brush,& a scrubbing pad to help clean up what's left. Always an easier way...

Archived