Coopers Community

When adding the yeast...

AnthonyG1

Hi Guys, this may be a dumb question but just want to know if I'm doing the wrong thing. When I add the yeast after mixing the can and suger, there is generally about 50mm of foam on top.

I have been spreading the yeast on top of the foam as the instructions say to add it as soon as possible (Not knowing how long is too long). Can I wait for the foam subside?

Any advice would be good.

Thanks

Anthony

Hi Anthony, 50mm does seem a lot of foam but it shouldn't matter. Once you have added the kit and kilo and topped it up with water to the right level just pitch away, foam or no foam. (assuming you have temp ok) if you still don't like it sitting on the foam you could rehydrate your yeast and tip the liquid in. Some people think this is better for taste anyway.

Sprinkle dry yeast and stir wet yeast.

After about 15-30mins, the dry yeast will have become a slurry on the top of the brew. If you like, mix it it into the brew using a sanitised spoon.

To hydrate yeast - sprinkle the contents of the sachet evenly over the surface of about a cup of warm water. At 15mins or once it, starts to look like a slurry, stir it in to make a creamy mixture. After another 5 to 15mins add it to the brew and stir in.

Archived