Coopers Community

BE1, BE2 or Dextrose

GerardC2

Hi guys, wondering if someone can help me out here. I\u2019m wondering what is the best fermentable to use, BE1, BE2 or dextrose. I know I may be asking a question that depends on what I\u2019m brewing but from what I read about the three BE2 does everything the others do and more. Adds extra body, mouthfeel and head retention (Good things as far as I know). Are there any downsides?

I have only used dextrose in my brews so far (all two of them) and have been really happy with them so far, wondering if I had used the BE2 if they would have been even better.

Any opinions, comments suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks

Ger

In most cases I would recommend BE2, but as you have pointed out it depends on what style of beer you are making, personally I prefer to use LDM but it is hard to get where I am so If I cant get it I will go back to BE2.

• 3 weeks later...

I think it's a case of you get what you pay for, all will make beer pay a bit more for BE1 and get a bit better beer. I have been thinking on the same lines as you and brewed two pale ales at the same time (same conditions, temp etc) one with BE2 one with Coopers light dry malt to taste side by side and see what difference there is. When I finish current brew i will try and keep you posted.[innocent]

Cheers Mark

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Sorry it has taken me so long to reply, have been away and working too much[crying] . I have tried both and are fairly similar. It's like trying to pick your favourite child. I would brew both ways again, sorry not much help, I like them both, I think LME makes it slightly more malty and sweeter, but not much.

Archived