Coopers Community

To bottle or not to bottle

GerardC2

Hi folks,

\tI am new to home brewing. Got a kit for Christmas (best present ever)[biggrin] and am currently on my third brew. My latest batch is the coopers heritage lager. For this I used the Premium Selection Heritage Lager 1.7Kg and yeast supplied and a tin of Coopers Light Malt Extract 1.5kg.

The fermentation started really quick and within about 12 hours I was bubbling almost once per second, much quicker than my last two.

4 days later and the bubbling has all but stopped. Took a SG reading and got 1.012.

\tJust wondering if I should bottle now or leave to sit on the yeast cake for a bit. I have been scanning through the threads and see that some like to leave it sit for a week or so on the cake to clear up. I did read on another forum that leaving it sit on the yeast cake is a bad thing, they didn\u2019t say why so just wondering whats best.

Appreciate any feedback

I find it best to leave my ales in the fermentor for 2 weeks which euates roughly to 1 week for fermentation and 1 week for the yeast to clean up after itself and for the beer to clear.

There are no problems with leaving your beer on the yeast cake for this long - for lagers it often needs a third week.

Alright Ger [biggrin] Just what we were talking about yesterday!!

Yeah i'm gonna give it a second week, as Muddy says the gains outweigh the risk so why not.

Question for ya, if i'm taking a FG sample tonight and have a little taste ( not expecting it to be all that nice ) will I be able to tell at this stage if its infected or not? thats my biggest worry.[pinched]

sorry i just want to try to work something out here. Muddy you said for the yeast to clean up after itself and to let the beer clear. Now i've always bottled on the end of one week as i don't mind a bit of sediment (even though i find it quite clear anyway) and i've always thought the yeast would continue to do it's thing in the bottle just as well as it might in the fermenter. Am i wrong? It should be ok in the bottle to clean up after itself shouldn't it? or is there a difference i'm not aware of?

Cheers

Question for ya' date=' if i'm taking a FG sample tonight and have a little taste ( not expecting it to be all that nice ) will I be able to tell at this stage if its infected or not? thats my biggest worry.[pinched']

Hi Stu,

I always take a sip out of the FG sample, can give a good indication of how the final beer will taste, Obviously it will be flat and warm but I have found it still gives you a good idea. From what I have read and pics I have seen on infected beers its pretty easy to see when its infected.

Letting it sit on the yeast for at least another week after FG is reached just lets it clean up the flavor & get more yeast,etc to settle out. So,what goes into the bottle with priming sugar is clearer to start with. And will taste better when aged & carb'd.

Cheers everyone, great info as always.

Well, ive just taken my first FG reading after 6 days fermenting,1.018, had a swig and i'm very relieved [cool] It looks good, cloudy and golden, smells like beer, and from the taste I can get a rough idea what it might be like a few weeks down the line... gorgeous!! [love]

gonna leave it for further 5-7 days now before bottling.

Archived