Coopers Community

DIY Beer thermomater

lfc_ozzie

The number that is coloured is the temperature. If two are coloured, it is in between eg if 20 and 22 are highlighted, your temp is 21...

The thermometer strip is a useful guide, don't expect it to be lab grade accurate.

Thanks for the reply well that solves that one.

now just after a little advice. I did my first brew put it in fermentor yesterday, pitched yeast at a little high temp wouldnt come down even after putting in all cold water the temp was about 27-29 degrees. Today i noticed the foam had started to break away does this mean its coming to the end of fermenting?? or should i still wait till day 6 for FG test or can i just test now and every day till its the same over two??

Hi lfc_ozzie,

I too am new, just put my first brew to bed last wed.

From what i've read on this forum over the last couple of weeks it's highly unlikely - impossible that it's finished fementing already![unsure] but I can't see why you couldn't test the FG now and any other day but I doubt if it's finished yet.

I'm not quite sure what it means when the foam breaks away. Is there condensation inside the fermenter?

I'm sure one of the experienced lad's will be around to help you soon, for now maybe just watch the temp. Again, i'm new so could be 100% incorrect [biggrin]

It isn't done fermenting yet,it just slows down after the 1st 3-4 days. Could take 12 to 14 days before you get a stable FG. I've got one in primary now that's going on 3 weeks. Gotta check for a 1.012 today so I can dry hop for another 7-10 days before bottling.

Brewing is patience. Siting on the yeast allows them to clean up their own nasty by-products for a cleaner,clearer beer.

If you want a peek at my 1st that I just tasted after a month+ of this sort of thing,go to recipe resource for my post "os lager in the glass.

Thanks for the help, so when should i start checking the FG i dont wanna be wasting beer for no reason, the instructions say from day 6. How long after fermentation has "finished" can you leave it in there for.

Big help guys

My rule of thumb is 7 days for fermentation and 7 days for clearing. Basocally this means just leave your beer in the fermentor for 2 weeks.

Most times I take an FG reading at the end of week 1 and if I'm happy that it is done I just leave it another week before bottling.

This is for ales. Lagers can take a bit longer.

Hi Muddy,

Did I not read that at this point the beer is vulnerable and you should bottle once you have a stable FG?

I didn't realise leaving it in the fermenter longer clears up the taste etc.., maybe ill give this a go for my first.

Should you still try and keep the temp up around 21 for the second week or is that just for fermenting?

Thanks.

Yes, the beer is vulnerable but the benefits outweigh the risks. If everything is clean when you start you keep the risk of infection to a minimum (I've never had an infection). I wouldn't worry if the temps drop once fermentation is complete but I personally keep the beer at the same temp for fermentation and resting.

I did a FG today it was 1012 and original was only 1035 seems like its gonna be a low alcohol level lol anyway i have a quickie noticed today was looking through sides of fermentor and noticed that the first inch or so on top seems to be clear as i can look up straight through and see the bubbles but if i look through a little lower its all cloudy and cant see the bubbles on surface through it. Is this the "clearing" you are talking about?? How do i know when to bottle if i am clearing it or should i just wait till FG is same 3 days in a row? keep in mind this is my first brew hopefully doesnt taste like gnats p**S :-)

I did a FG today it was 1012 and original was only 1035 seems like its gonna be a low alcohol level lol anyway i have a quickie noticed today was looking through sides of fermentor and noticed that the first inch or so on top seems to be clear as i can look up straight through and see the bubbles but if i look through a little lower its all cloudy and cant see the bubbles on surface through it. Is this the "clearing" you are talking about?? How do i know when to bottle if i am clearing it or should i just wait till FG is same 3 days in a row? keep in mind this is my first brew hopefully doesnt taste like gnats p**S :-)

You wont be able to clear the whole fermenter. Maybe if you use finings or gelatine and CC (cold condition) in same cases you might get a lot clearer but don't worry about that a great deal for your first brew.

The Lager that come with the kit, the OG will be about 1035 (mine was 1032) and you will finish around 1008-05. At 05 it will give you an Alc % of 4.5% if bottling. Commercial Cascade Draught is only 4.6% and Commercial Boags Draught is 4.7%. (or the other way around, cant remember now). So your brew will be on par with a normal strength beer if your FG gets to 05.

Also if you are clearing then your FG should be about the same because you should have reached your FG during your fermentation. Hence, FG - FINAL Gravity i.e. finished.

Thanks everyone' date=' this is a gr8 forum massive help. I think ill just bottle it once i get the FG stable, will have to learn to clear etc in a few brews time as this is my first[/quote']

I bottled my first two brews once bubbling stopped and FG was below 1.010 and both turned out great and were pretty clear so I'm sure you'll still get a great beer anyway.

I'm on my third brew now and am going to leave this one sit an extra week and see if there's a difference. I'll let you know how I get on

Archived