Coopers Community

APA vs. CAN. Blonde

Canadian Eh!L

hi folks,

i'm interested in making the 'cooper's mild ale' in the "how to brew" page. the problem is i can't get the APA in town. would you go with the canadian blonde? or the O.S. lager?

i like the idea of it being an early drinker. does that mean you can drink it before noon?[devil]

I would probably use the OS Lager kit as it has the same IBU (according to the Brewing Products Page). They both also use POR hops. Remember to use the Coopers yeast from the bottle.

Maybe the experts can give more advise tho.

thanks matty,

is the commercial yeast a must? i'd have to get the 'beer store' to bring in some cooper's beer's. it seems that the cooper's pale ale is recommended for reculturing. i've had the sparkling ale and liked it. what's another cooper's beer that i should ask them to bring in. i'm always interested in tasting new beers and seeing different beer in the local 'beer store'.

any suggestions?

When reactivating the Coopers yeast, I try and use the Coopers Mild Ale actually. I don't know if it is true or not but I heard that the lower the alcohol content the more healthy the yeast is. In saying that I have also had great success in using the Sparkling Ale yeast.

Ofcoarse it isn't essential to use it, but it helps make the beer taste alot more like Coopers. I may also be inclined to use Safale US05 yeast or something like that if I didnt have any reactivated yeast.

I don't know if it is true or not but I heard that the lower the alcohol content the more healthy the yeast is.

[rightful] True [rightful]

The two key points: lowest alcohol and/or the youngest Coopers commercial ale you can get. Thread

Also, White Labs supply an Australian Ale yeast WLP009.

well, the only coopers ale in town is the sparkling. so that's what i had to make my culture. it will still go won't it? i'm giving it a go.

i'm drinking some decanted ale now.[joyful]

every sparkling ale recultured yeast i've produced has worked a treat. no reason it won't for you, just make sure you use at least 4 stubbies or 2 long necks.

good brewing!

and one of my latest beers to be bottled wasn't a canblond vs APA, I call it a pale canadian blonde[kissing]

Archived