Coopers Community

Dense Foam in the bottles

JamesD7

Hi there,

I have just bottled my latest brew, up till now I have not come across this issue.

The foam at the top of the brew in the fermenter was a very dense almost a crust.

When bottling, a dense foam formed in the bottle, I carried on expecting it to settle out but 24hrs latter the foam is still clearly visible in the bottles.

Have I managed to get the brew infected or is this just to be expected?

Any help or suggestions appreciated.

James

Hi! It sounds like you got an infected batch! Just open one bottle & have a sniff if it smells OK? Try also taste it When gone off it will have a vinegar like taste. Did you use any "Fining"? To make the beer clear before you bottling it? Some top fermenting Yeast, lives a brown residue on the top around the fermenter, but you sure did pay attention not to bottle the crap with the beer!? When is gone off,[crying] just chuck it & next time make sure you sanitize everything better, don't expose the worth longer to the open air than you have to! good brewing & good luck. Steven [cool]

• 2 months later...

I wouldn't jump to the conclusin that it infected. My brews get that brown crust around the top of the fermenter from when the foam rises.

The only reason I can think of it happening in the bottle is because it hasn't finished brewing yet. Open one and taste it. If it is a gusher but tastes ok it would of been bottled to early although if it tastes like vinigar or is a little sour, then you have an infection.

Archived