Coopers Community

Cleaning tap

PeiHomeBrewer

Are the taps on the Coopers fermenter meant to come apart to be cleaned? Mine has a lot of brown gunk inside, and a soak in Oxi Clean will not remove it. I've read elsewhere that they can be taken apart by moving the tap to a horizontal position and tapping it apart with an object.

I wanted to verify this was the proper way before I proceed. I don't want to ruin it.

I assume you are talking about the pre-DIY taps???

You can pull them apart and clean them. I did a quick google an found THIS detailed description describes how I used to do it to a t.

These days I just buy a new tap periodically from bunnings (hardware store).

Thanks Muddy, that was very helpful. Should be made a sticky; I can't be the only one that has wondered how to clean the tap.

Now I can get on to brewing my partial extract Dark Ale!

I had same problem - think about how my FV smelled after few raspberry beers in it.. nvm the tap which had some residue pink nevermind me brushing it (yep, guys, think of either having replacement taps or making them cleanable).

But... there is one thing that helped me along - its a powdered cleaner - PBW (powder brewery wash) made by same guys who make starsan - sorta worked out for me - ate all the grease and smell outta fermenter after overnight soak.

definitely worth trying out.

Archived