Coopers Community

Cloudy Beer

SuzanneP1

Hi everyone! I'm new around here but am very much familiar with Cooper's brewing kits.I've been using the Canadian Ale for a very long time and have been extremely successful.....until recently[pouty] My last 2 batches have not been clearing in the bottles at all.Normally this would not be a big issue but now my husband is claiming that the alcohol content seems lower to him.I believe this is all in his head and the only reason he feels that way is because it isn't clear.

I guess my question is this.... if the beer is cloudy in the bottle is it possible the alcohol content is lower or is this cloudiness caused by another problem?

Thanks a bunch

Hi Suzanne,

Did you take hydrometer readings? They'll tell you what the alcohol content is.

I'm not sure why it hasn't cleared. Have you used the same methods and ingredients? Also, how long has it been in the bottle?

If you used the same ingredients the alcohol should be similar to your previous batches. Are you sure it fermented out fully?

Thanks for responding Muddy.

I'm embarassed to say that for the last year I haven't been using my hydrometer.I use the exact same kit,with the exact same method and ingredients everytime and have had no problems.....till now! They have been in the bottle approximately 2 weeks and usually after a week they are clear.I'm trying putting them in a warmer spot as it is winter here and the temp. fluctuates.

I have a new batch going now and am leaving it an extra day just to be certain that it ferments out completely.I'm thinking that may have been the issue.But with this new batch I see alot of yeast on the top which I never noticed before ....is that normal?

I usually ferment for 5 to 7 days depending on the season and temperature.Also I always make sure the wort stays at 72F. Maybe your right and they are just still too young.I hope that's the only issue...as for the alcohol content I think hubby was freaking out because it looked different LOL!!!

So I'm just wondering.....am I the only woman who brews beer???

My husband always said he was the luckiest man in the world [lol]

If you (or your husband) like clear beer it would be a good idea to leave it in the fermentor a bit longer. A lot of people, including myself, leave their beers in the fermentor for 2 weeks - 1 week for fermentation + 1 week to clear. Of course when you start counting the time your beers have been in the bottle in months rather than weeks you will also have clearer (and better tasting) beer.

Not many women seem to brew beer...my wife doesn't have a very high opionion of the practice [crying]

I think with this next batch I'm going to leave it a little longer.The temperature just took a nose dive here so that usually causes some issues.

The funniest part is I'm the one who enjoys making the beer and he's the one who enjoys drinking it[lol] I don't even drink!!! But I do like making it and usually find it a nice relaxing hobby and a great way for saving $$$ when we have alot of people over.

Can you describe your cleaning and sanitation methods, chemicals used, etc?

You say the yeast looks different - how many days into the current fermentation.

Also, how do the cloudy brews smell and taste prior to bottling? This is something we urge brewers to do even if they are non-drinkers.

[lol] I would be happy to give a ladies lesson on the joys of beer making!! I don't understand why it would upset some wives...unless you guys don't clean up after yourselves[lol]

The name of the chemical used to sanitize actually escapes me right now.The yeast did look a little different but I think I was being paranoid because of the cloudy beer I've had recently.

I always taste the brew before I bottle,and I'm glad to hear others do too...I thought I was a bit strange for doing it.It tasted perfectly fine to me and last night my husband said that it tasted better.I guess it was just too young.With the wacky weather here it's hard to keep up sometimes.2 days ago it was like spring and now it's freezing again[crying]

hi suzanne,

i resently bottled a hazy, heavy, honey, canadian blonde batch. i was a little troubled at the time by it. i was sure the fermenting was finished and it passed the tasted and smell test. it's been 3 weeks in the bottle and has cleared up nicely. in fact it is really, quite good if i say so myself. i can hardly keep my hands off it.

the ABV% was higher than usual at 7.2%. i don't normally brew beers this strong so i thought the haziness had somthing to do with it. who knows?

with all the erratic weather you speak of, i'm wondering if you live in my neighbourhood.

Hi Canadian,

Well thank you very much you've given me hope that this will clear[biggrin] .

I am sort of from your neck of the woods...I'm in Montreal,Quebec.

The weather here has been sooo erratic.It was warm and sunny the other day and now it's freezing again!

Archived