Coopers Community

Does size really matter?

Nath M

Hi guys,

I have just finished and bottled my first ever brew yesterday, a Coopers Real Ale. Really looking forward to trying the results in a few weeks time!

I borrowed the gear off my brother who had just completed his first brew, so of course had to give it back so he can get number 2 under way. Now I'm going to have to get my own!

So have been for a look around, and a basic starter kit is $100-110, and I can't find a new Coopers DIY one anywhere!

An alternative I found is a selection of "Brewing Barrels" at the local plastic shop. They have sizes ranging from 15L up to 100L.

In the interest of future proofing my setup, I though it may be wise to purchase a 50L ($70ish) over a 30L ($50ish).

Firstly, I assume there is no problem making a 23L brew in a 50L container? And secondly, is a double or 46L brew too big for a 50L container.

Neither come with an airlock...think I'll just by some gladwrap!!![lol]

Thanks for your help.

bigW doesn't have a DIY one. I normally find them for $70 there with all the equipment for a brew. If not I am sure the 50L one would be fine depending on the brew. A toucan stout will definitely low over (I suppose it would be a four can stout in that case.

I'm in NZ so we don't have Big W at all...and there are very few brew hobby shops so I'm looking around for what I can find and use instead of a purpose made container. (BTW...priced up shipping out a DIY kit and it came to nearly $170!)

The main concern is the size at this stage as I have found the containers I will likely get.

I've been thinkin about this post,& I've come to the conclusion that,if you're going to do 23L batches,the 30L should be fine. At that size,you also have a lil more room for all the foam,should you get a particularly aggressive ferment. My 2c anyway...

As a rough guide, when considering the size of your fermenting vessel, the amount of headspace for holding the foam should be about half that of the brew volume - so a 46litre brew should be okay in a (46 + 46/2 = 69) litre vessel.

Having said that, double batch brewers seem to go okay with 60litre vessels, readily available in Aus. [biggrin]

Thanks Paul,

You have answered the question perfectly! I seem to recall there may have been a 60L avaialable, that may be the go.

On another thought...the inlaws from Adelaide are flying out in a few weeks, and I only just clicked in regards to the shop at Adelaide airport, remembering looking through it on our last trip. Maybe I could be the first Kiwi to have the new DIY kit?! [cool]

Yeah that's what I figured Matty. I do shift work so it's not going to be easy fitting things in sometimes. If I do double brews it should save time. However will stick to singles for now until I have a few brews under my belt, and venture into a few with the extra ingredients etc a bit further down the track. Looking forward to trying some of your guys recipes...once I find out where to buy some of the stuff! [wink]

Hey NathM, as postied in a previous thread check out "Bin Inn"

I did a bit of research for ya and found out theres one in Hastings

Bin Inn Hastings

440 Heretaunga Street West

Tel: (06) 878 7021

Fax: (06) 878 7021

Email: hastings@bininn.co.nz

They stock Coopers kits and have a range of fermeters, pretty sure that one here in Chch has the Cooper DIY kit too!

Pakn'Save if you have one in your area also stock a small range if kits, carb drops and sugars...

Hope this helps in some way...

Cheers

Chris

Thanks Chris,

yeah Bin Inn is where I got my frst kit, but they don't have a huge selection of kits to choose from, certainly none of the nicer/fancier ones. But the more I look around the more places I see supplies. Couldn't locate any at Pak n Save but my local New World has some of the International ones and we did our online shopping last night and I can get Coopers kits through Countdown that way too.

Would be interested to know if the Chch Bin Inn does in fact have the DIY kit, they look pretty smart and would look even smarter in my fridge [lol]

Archived