Coopers Community

temperature while brewing

darronb

You'll still make beer, but there could be a few funny flavours (which may settle down a bit with bottle age). Aiming for the lower part of the suggested temperature range is best - I try to brew most of my ales around 20 degrees.

There's a whole bunch of temp control hints here:

FAQ's

Cheers

Dan

My wort was at 30C when I pitched the yeast because I thought the temp was too low (20C & dropping slightly)when I was adding the cold water. I topped of the remainder with very warm water,& it hit 30C! Played all kids of hell with the yeast,making it go dormant after the first night. Not to mention many off flavors. It finished fermenting in 12 days,& had that fruity ester/tart thing going. 3 weeks of aging & a forth week of cold shocking aught to take care of that. So get the wort down to 20-22C,& you'll be better off.

is there a way of cooling the brew down [cool]

Some of the things I have done to bring down high temps are:

1. Use cordial bottles filled with ice and wrap them around the fermenter using a towel or old blanket.

2. Drape a wet towel over your fermenter (need to check this every day) can even put a fan blowing on the wet towel.

3. Move the fermenter to a drafty area

4. Place fermenter in bath of water

5. I have a 2 story house so have moved it down stairs, when it is hot, where it is a lot cooler.

There are many things you can do to bring the temp down. Temp control is important so you should really try rectifying this issue. I'm just about to get a fridge so won't have any problems with this soon [joyful]

I topped of the remainder with very warm water' date='& it hit 30C! Played all kids of hell with the yeast,making it go dormant after the first night.[/quote']

There is always a LAG phase. However, ale yeast will ferment very aggressively at 30degC.

It may take more than 4 weeks for the funky aromas and flavours to mellow out.

Yes, when we suggest a ferment temperature range go for the lower end. [biggrin]

Archived