Coopers Community

To stir or not to stir.....

ChrisMack

...that is the question!

Well, I'm up to my third brew now and I'm a bit embarrassed to admit it, but this one is actually the first Coopers kit that I've done [bandit]

So after some searching I finally managed to track down a "Canadian Blonde" kit over here (yup the other half thought I was looking in the wrong type of shop for one of those!! [biggrin] ) and have now proceeded in putting down a batch of "Blushing Blonde" as per instruction on this site....

The question is, when it comes to pitching the yeast, the recipe says to just "sprinkle the yeast over the wort" All the other brews I have put down the instruction have said to "stir in the yeast"......so is stirring necessary or can it simply be pitched on top and left to its own devices to work-away....does stirring encourage the yeast into action or is it simply just a time filler process....

Cheers for any advice (and I know you guys will give it...)

Chris

Hey Chris,

I'm a stirrer, have a standard Canadian Blonde at three weeks old in the bottle and it's an excellent beer. Cant see it lasting long though, will be putting down another one of these for sure.

Chugalug,

Jethro.

I'm a sprinkler too.

I don't know if it really makes a lot of difference but I personally believe that if you stir then there is a good chance some yeast will stick to the spoon when you remove it and some stick to the sides of the fermenter. I want to make sure I have all my working babies in there [rightful]

My mantra is stir liquid yeast and sprinkle dry yeast. It's simple and it works.

Some people like to rehydrate their yeast before use - a good idea if your yeast is old or hasn't been well stored.

Also,some high gravity beers require a higher pitching rate so you may need to make a starter which would then be stirred in.

Archived