Coopers Community

Coopers PET Bottles

DavidP19

Hi all,

I have been brewing for many years using glass and recently decided to give PET a go because they are so easy to get and so light and easy to use. I really like the idea and was kean to give them a try.

The first batch I bottled into PET went well, placed caps on nice and tight and placed in a controlled fridge at 22 degrees C for a week.

At the end of the week I checked that they had pressure, and also randomly checked a cap... to my surprise I was able to tighten the cap 1/8th of a turn, checked all the others and they were the same. I assumed at that point that I had simply not tightened them enough on bottling day and tweaked them all up.

Today I went to the cupboard where they are now stored, averages this time of year around 24 to 26. I noticed a beer smell and pulled them all out. Two bottles had vented through the lid, loosing about 1cm of beer but they still had firm pressure, i checked all the lids again and I was able to tighten them all up about 1/8th of a turn again!

Those who have used PET extensively may be able to help me here, is it necessary to regularly check the caps to make sure they are tight and tweak them? Has anyone else found that they loosen over time?

I have done another batch in some more of the pet bottles, I have made extra sure that the caps are as tight as I can get them at bottling day, as of day 4 since bottling they appear to have remained tight...

They are new bottles, new caps... I really would like to change to PET, my glass bottles are getting very old and replacing them is expensive and difficult, but my first experience with them have given me some concerns.

Thanks for reading, think I may go have a beer now [biggrin]

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave,

I have used PET bottles a lot and have never experienced what you describe in new or even old bottles. Maybe it was a dud batch?

I never check my caps after I bottle them and have never had a problem - even after more than a year in the bottle.

I wouldn't give up on PET but can't really explain what is happening with your current batch of bottles.

[unsure]

Hi Muddy,

thanks for your prompt reply, I certainly dont plan on giving up on them, they are a great idea and so easy to use. Hopefully like you said it was a dud batch of caps, or maybe I didnt tighten them up enough at bottling time... is a mystery and hopefully the rest will be fine.

I did plan on getting some more today for my next batch but Coles Wyoming, KMart Erina, BigW Erina all had no stock, in fact not much stock of anything from Coopers at all ... surprise surprise! I asked a sales person about the bottles, he said they only ever carry 2 boxes in stock and they usually sell the day they come in [crying] If anyone knows where there is a good supply on the Central Coast I would love to know.

Cheers

Dave [biggrin]

Hey David, i like you have moved over from glass last year to Pets. I was a bit reluctant at first but after about 8 batches they are pretty good to use. The beer carbonates well and they are less hassle than the glass when it comes to cleaning.

I haven't had the problem you describe, the first time i check a Pet after filling is when im ready to drink it. Think Muddy is right sounds like a dud box of Pets.

Last time I was in our K-Mart they had home brew stock, exclusively Coopers kits, while there was Coopers 'sugars' inc BEI&II, and other Co.s Dextrose, bottle tops and brushes etc. The DIY kit was a neat $85 and bottles were $15 a pop. Admittedly, there were low numbers and wasn't a great range, even of the OS kits. Coles have definitely ceased stocking HB[devil]

I find the K-Mart in Orange also supplies some stock, I can get PETs a couple of International Series and all of the OS range but they dont seem to stock the BE1 and 2 or Dextrose.

They also arnt as cheap as the BigW here either.

I assume they are, although Coles doesnt have any products. I think their must be a few homebrewers around here as we seem to have enough room for 2 successful homebrew store and everyone seems to be trying to stock homebrew products to sell.

I have only met a few homebrewers since I have started but they all must hide in the dark.

I have about 150 PET bottles in circulation and have not had a problem. Many have been used 2+ times. The only thing I don't like are the PET caps - water gets under the seal inside the cap.

However... a bloke at work has had about half a dozen PETs fail. They were new bottles on their first use and had been stored for a few weeks when he noticed a beer smell and a soggy cardboard box. Major spillage. At first he thought it had come out through the lid. The bottles were still gassed, but the beer was down to the last inch. Anyway, some more bottles failed and now it's obvious that leakage occurred from the bottom of the bottle, presumably where the extruder connects. Fermentation had finished prior to bottling and he used the normal amount of priming sugar. I suggested he call Coopers customer service.

Thanks for everyones replies, it is good to hear that people are using the pets without any problems, and I hope my issue is just an isolated case. All the caps seem now to be staying tight and no more leaking ones, maybe I was just unlucky and had two dodgy caps... As for them all being loose after a period of time... mystery... but if they hold presure then it is not really an issue [cool]

Thanks for the suggestion about going to layby to put my name down for the bottles, I will give that a try if they dont have any more next time I am over there.

Cheers

Dave

• 2 months later...

Archived