Coopers Community

Pressure limits of Coopers Ox-Bar PET bottles?

PatrickS3

I'm wondering what the upper pressure limits are for the Coopers 500ml Ox-Bar PET bottles. If I want to brew e.g. a wheat beer with a final carbonation around 4.5 volumes CO2, will the PET bottles handle that?

I'm presuming they will, but good to be sure before hand ;-)

Coopers sell 500ml PET Bottles? I have never seen them before and when I done a Google search they seem to be displaying the 740ml ones.

I have had my PETs handle enough pressure that when I open them it foams up that much and purs out to the point where their is only an inch of beer left.

Couldn't tell you the carbonation level but it was way too much.

The Carboator Cap a device designed to force carbonate PET bottles is rated to operate safely at 30psi (200kpa).Coopers Bottles are also have a membrane layer in them so the Co2 stays in and the oxygen stays out this will also add some durability to the bottle .

30 psi(200kpa) @ 32F (0c) degrees will give your beer 4.5 volumes of C02 with force carbonation.

If your doing a German Style wheat with the Banana and Clove flavor then 4.5 Volumes is appropriate for the style if its more of a clean American Style wheat with a clean neutral yeast then the volumes are about 4.0.

Use a Priming calculator if bulk priming with dextrose or table sugar.

http://webspace.webring.com/people/ms/sirleslie/AlcoholChart/PrimingCalculator.html

http://www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table.php

http://www.homebrewing.org/The-Carbonator-Draft-to-Go_p_108.html

The Carboator Cap a device designed to force carbonate PET bottles is rated to operate safely at 30psi (200kpa).Coopers Bottles are also have a membrane layer in them so the Co2 stays in and the oxygen stays out this will also add some durability to the bottle .

30 psi(200kpa) @ 32F (0c) degrees will give your beer 4.5 volumes of C02 with force carbonation.

OK. But how many psi at ambient room temp of around 22C?

If your doing a German Style wheat with the Banana and Clove flavor then 4.5 Volumes is appropriate for the style if its more of a clean American Style wheat with a clean neutral yeast then the volumes are about 4.0.

It's a traditional German hefeweissen (two days in the FV so far)...

So I'm shooting for around 4.5 volumes.

Getting CO2 into solution is temperature Dependant and time so the colder it is the more CO2 dissolves into the beer this is how keggers and breweries can have beer ready to go in 10 days from grain to glass so to speak ,

What you can do is naturally carbonate the beer in bottles for 2 weeks at around 20c and then put the beer in the fridge for another 2 weeks so the CO2 can dissolve into solution and it also helps the beer cold condition.

Archived