Coopers Community

Excessive froth when pouring from long neck bottles into glass

MatthewS7

Howdy all,

I have a problem where 1 of my brews (a Vintage Ale replica kit) froths excessively when I pour into a glass. I used carbonation drops in the bottles (2 per long neck)

The FG was constant for 2 days before I bottled, and I have left them alone for 3 months before trying them.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what could have caused this so I dont encounter the issue again.

Apart from the excessive froth the beer tasted nice though :)

Cheers

Matt

To me it sounds like fermentation wasn't quite complete when you bottled them. The fact that it tastes ok seem to rule out infection?!? What was your recipe and FG?

It is always good not to rush your brews into the bottle. As a genera; rule of thumb I tend to allow a week for fermentation and a week for clearing before bottling.

If those longnecks were 12oz,then you would use only 1 carbonation drop per bottle. 12oz's equals 354.84ml,so 1 drop should be fine in that size. Conversely,740ml equals about 25.03oz's. The two drops you used is likely the culprit. 2 drops is the amount the instructions I got said to use for the 740-750ml PET bottles.I found a neat conversion chart at sciencemadesimple.com...

"Long neck" is generally a term used in Australia to describe a 750ml bottle. [wink]

Leonard, perhaps you are from another country?? Don't know because you have not filled in your location details.[innocent]

I'm in the USA,near Lake Erie. Over here,long necks or "pony bottles" are generally 12oz's. Thus my suggestion. By the by,I can't get my location to show up on my posts? Nevermind,I found it. Also,I'm on eastern standard time (daylight savings time at the moment,& it's 10:50am right now,not 11:20.

Archived