Coopers Community

specialty grains

philw

my next couple of brews I want to try I would like to add specialty grains in to them

so what do I need to go though.

I am going to try a Pale Ale and Sparkling Ale as I have a tin of each at the moment

There is some OK and simple info here:

Specialty Grains

I do it the other way around though (I bring the water to the boil, take off the heat, then add the grain and steep for 30 mins stirring occasionally - stops the inevitable boil over).

Staring with some light crystal would probably suit those two kits.

Only certain grains can be steeped like Crystal ,Roast Barley ,Chocolate malt and a hand full of others you should also boil the wort you get from these grains for at least 10 minutes to get rid of any raw grainy flavors and help caramelize the sugars a little ,

Flaked Cereals like rolled oats and flaked barley.corn/rice need to be mashed with some 2 row malt despite what the guy at the Local homebrew shop tells you ,

Boiling the liquid from spcialty grains is only required for pasteurisation.

Dan's method of adding grains to hot water, just taken off the boil, should do the same job [biggrin]

There are a few recipes on our site that suggest using grains;

Irish Red Ale is one worth trying.

Grains can be cracked easily by putting them in a plastic zip-lock snack/sandwich bag then crush them under a rolling pin or mallett.

PB2 Grains added to water just taken off the boil may extract some tannins and the water should be about 70c ,this is more important for the roasted malts and the reason I suggested you boil the wort is not for sanitation (70c water and higher is enough for pasteurization at 5 minutes)

A 10 minute boil is for carmelization of the sugars in the wort and volatilization of the husky flavors .

Matt, what source have you drawn this information from?

The amount of tannin extraction is negligible. However, boiling the grains or steeping them for hours will extract sufficient tannins to add obvious astringency to the brew..

Keeping in mind that specialty grains are non-diastatic, why should the steeping water only be 70degC?

Why would you want to caramelise a liquor that already has extracted flavours and aromas from the specialty grain , such as nutty, caramel, chocolate, coffee, aniseed, etc. ??

Paul the source is Brewing :Sciecne and Practice .Brigs ,Boulton, Brookes on the3 secion regarding ployphenols (aka tannins).

The reason I suggested not to go over 70 degrees is so tannin extraction will not be an issue but if your adding room tempature grians (150g) to a small amount of hot water from a kettle (500ml) then the temperature should be low enough to not worry about tannin extraction over 30 minutes .Boiling is to further minimize any polyphnols from husk oils as they volitize off but as I said its more of a concern with roasted malts .

I you could also try cold extraction of specialty grain and this would minimize any tannins and extract the flavor from the specialty grain .

If you want to try cold extraction try 150g cracked grain and 500 mL water and keep it covered in your refigerator for 24-48 hours then add this to your brew after you add the Coopers Can to the Fermenter .

you could also try cold extraction of specialty grain and this would minimize any tannins and extract the flavor from the specialty grain .

If you want to try cold extraction try 150g cracked grain and 500 mL water and keep it covered in your refigerator for 24-48 hours then add this to your brew after you add the Coopers Can to the Fermenter .

This method can be used but make sure to strain the liquid off and bring it to the boil prior to mixing with the other ingredients.

Okay, I have grabbed the book, as you describe, from one of our Brewers. Hopefully it's the same edition?? If so, what pages have you drawn the info from?

8n1yo.th.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

well going to be giving it a crack soon

went to the beer place @ Holden Hill ( brewmaker's for those playing at home) and they sell a pack that has the fermentable's in it as well as some grain and hops in it as well.

Hmm' date=' still waiting on MattH's reply. Perhaps he didn't expect anyone on this forum to have the book he was quoting from??[whistling [/quote']

He lost me with pasteurization, carmelization and volatilization...all i could think of was obfuscation [unsure]

Damn it! I want MattH to come back! I loved it! LOL!

I have not see you Paul have a tiff with someone on this site in a few years! Paul i think you hit him for a SIX! Maybe he was from that other site and thought you only new kits? Anyway you showed him wrong!

THAT WAS SOME ENTERTAINMENT!

P.S? got his email? follow him up and see if he has got an answer...?

Archived