Coopers Community

Voyager IIPA & Viking Kveik IPA

Phoenix76

G'day y'all

Long time no write. Been working out in Western Qld pursuing my scrap metal business but had to come home last September because of the rain. Yeah, crazy, but that is what happened. The night after I got of the property they have 5 inches of rain.  Anyway been home and spending too money.

Sitting sipping a Viking IIPA, cracked the first one last night.  I'm impressed. Not just for my beer making prowess 🤣, but for the recipe. Seeing as how I was home and had nothing better to fill in time as thought I might something else apart from my usual CPA. This brew has hit all the targets, and at 8% ABV is a very nice beer. Would definitely recommend it to anyone who wants to get away from straight kit beer.

Nothing wrong with kit beer, I brew CPA most all the time. The one thing I do though is throw in 500 gr of Light Dry Malt. That brings the ABV up to 5% or better.

This arvo I bottled a Viking Kviek IPA.  I'm not expecting much out of it.  All the blurb talks about brewing it at 34 degrees Celsius and that is where I started. But it's the middle of winter here in Qld and we don't do 34 degrees. During summer it would not be a problem. Anyhow, my recipe builder says OG should be about 1.066 and FG should be 1.014. BUT!! my OG was 1.033 and half way the brewing the gravity was still 1.033. So I just bottled and I'm hoping for something sort of drinkable. Give it a few weeks in the bottle and see what it tastes like.

Just put down another CPA this arvo so I know that will be very drinkable.  I've also got a ROFTM, Wireless Brown Ale, that I will put down during the week. Sounds like a nice drop.

So that's all my "Blather" and while I'm still home I will keep up the brews.

Cheers Phoenix76. Also known as Bill.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Phoenix76 said:

G'day y'all

Long time no write. Been working out in Western Qld pursuing my scrap metal business but had to come home last September because of the rain. Yeah, crazy, but that is what happened. The night after I got of the property they have 5 inches of rain.  Anyway been home and spending too money.

Sitting sipping a Viking IIPA, cracked the first one last night.  I'm impressed. Not just for my beer making prowess 🤣, but for the recipe. Seeing as how I was home and had nothing better to fill in time as thought I might something else apart from my usual CPA. This brew has hit all the targets, and at 8% ABV is a very nice beer. Would definitely recommend it to anyone who wants to get away from straight kit beer.

Nothing wrong with kit beer, I brew CPA most all the time. The one thing I do though is throw in 500 gr of Light Dry Malt. That brings the ABV up to 5% or better.

This arvo I bottled a Viking Kviek IPA.  I'm not expecting much out of it.  All the blurb talks about brewing it at 34 degrees Celsius and that is where I started. But it's the middle of winter here in Qld and we don't do 34 degrees. During summer it would not be a problem. Anyhow, my recipe builder says OG should be about 1.066 and FG should be 1.014. BUT!! my OG was 1.033 and half way the brewing the gravity was still 1.033. So I just bottled and I'm hoping for something sort of drinkable. Give it a few weeks in the bottle and see what it tastes like.

Just put down another CPA this arvo so I know that will be very drinkable.  I've also got a ROFTM, Wireless Brown Ale, that I will put down during the week. Sounds like a nice drop.

So that's all my "Blather" and while I'm still home I will keep up the brews.

Cheers Phoenix76. Also known as Bill.

Good to hear from you mate, keep up the good work. 🍺

G'day Y'all

Just thought I would update the above post.

I was concerned that my Viking Kveik IPA wouldn't work out too well. As I mentioned my OG was 1.033 which had to be wrong.  Half way through the fermenting process, the gravity was still 1.033. All very wrong. My hydrometer is a new one from Coopers and it appears to work very well with all my other brews.

Anyway, I stuck it out and bottled the result. Well I couldn't wait so I opened a couple tonight. Well, I don't know what caused the false readings during the brew, but it is a very nice drop. Lovely Citra hop flavour which I love. Talking of which, try some Citra hops in a Coopers Pale Ale. Just drop in after about three days and let it do it's thing.

So the Viking is a strange beer. 34 degree brewing temperature and brewed in three days. Well what the recipe says. I left it for a week or more and its been in the bottle for just on a week. Bloody nice and should improve it little more over the coming weeks.

Cheers y'all

Bill

• Like 3