Coopers Community

fermentation

rem7600

Just brewed the coopers lager kit. the fermentation seems to have stopped but its only been 4 days SG readings seem to be in the right range at 1, 008. i have read her and else where that you are better off leaving your brew for 2 weeks. my question is if i am bottling into PET bottles then does it matter if i bottle now or leave for 2 extra days or leave for 1 more week. what are the advantages to these things as i have read conflicting posts and blogs?

cheers

4 Days for Lager seems too short. Any fermentables added? Fermented at 15C? Lager yeast?

I ask because my lagers on average take 12 days (even more).

As Muddy advised, leaving it longer makes for a clearer, cleaner beer. Because I keg, I rack it to a cube for an additional week to 10 days.

My mistake, you didn't say the European Lager kit

So kit & 1kg Brewing Sugar ?

A little patience, couple more days. Longer if you can for a clearer beer. If not, as long as you have the same SG over two consecutive days (try to read @ same temp).

Now let's see if you can wait a week before sampling your first brew! [roll]

Perhaps we should run a sweep on how long you can hold back[roll]

If you have a warmer temperature it will ferment faster than if you have a slower temperature. While using an Ale yeast (The OS Lager kit comes with Ale yeast) aim to brew at around 20 degrees.

It will produce a nicer beer, it may take a little longer but its worth it.

Also you can bottle when the gravity reading is the same over consecutive days, its up to you whether you would like to wait a couple of days for it to clear.

Maybe at one point when you would like wait the couple of days for one brew and bottle it as soon as it has finished with another one and see what the differance is. That way you can determine to wait the couple of days or not.

I personally dont worry about waiting as it clears in the bottles if you wait long enough.

Archived