Coopers Community

Forced Carbonation

JohnS12

I haven't tried it, but have often wondered about it. you see those screw on connectors (that screw on to the bottle containing beer) that I assume connect to your gas (replacing the gas in tank plug on the keg), on plenty of the retailers websites. I don't quite see the advantage of it[unsure]

The advantages I am looking for are clearer beer, set Alc. content as of the last reading, less scum in the bottles so easier to clean and maybe quicker turn around on the drinking. I maybe chasing a dream but always looking for better beer.

Hey John before I got into home brewing I used to go to the local micro brewery. [ninja] It was forced carbonated so it is possible. I never got to see out the back but I assume what they did at bottling stage was run the gas through a cold keg and we'd pump it straight into a bottle. The good thing is that it was ready to drink during the bottling stage [lol] so you had to nominate a driver home [devil]I was clearer and drinkable straight away. The down side was that it had to be stored in the fridge after this and had a short life span compared to natural conditioned beer. It doesn't have to to mature either. Then again if you are going to go to this much trouble perhaps you should just go for a keg system [cool] no botles to clean then

Thanks Mark the short shelve life is not a problem and i have a driver(Wife)but do a lot of my drinking away from home family BBQs etc. so don't want to go to the keg stage. So what I am probaly looking for this the amount of CO2 to induce into the bottles.

Cool ok then John, now you have me thinking... not always a good thing but it may be just as expensive if you are going to go down the road of getting a soda stream (unless you pick up one 2nd hand), I have heard mixed reviews on the tap-a-draft system but that may be the go instead of a soda stream [crying]. On completion of primary fermentation wack the beer into the tap a draft fire up a soda stream cartridge and bottle, cap and store in fridge until needed? You may need to do some investigation into them though as I said I have heard mixed reviews....

I find that force carbed bottles (filling the bottle with flat beer then forcing CO2 into it) never seem to get fizzy enough and produce a beer with massive bubbles in the foam that doesn't last.

Can't recall the name of the equipment used - might have been fizz devil?? [devil] It worked well for bottles that were naturally conditioned but slightly undercarbed.

PB2 This is the worry big bubbles and no way of regulating the mount of gas. But have found on the Net a conection which runs from CO2 bottle to the soda stream outlet which I hope to use with a regulator, also found that in bottles you need 2.5 per cent gas to volume and need some aging for the gas. The cost is raising.

Archived