Coopers Community

First timer with Coopers homebrew. Ok to bottle?

JasonN2

It's my first time brewing and my lager that came in the kit has been fermenting at 22 degrees Celsius for 7 days and sill the SG is at 1.012. The instructions say it should be between 1008-1010. Also I added one extra liter of water by accident. So is 1012 ok to bottle or should I wait another day or so?

I say bottle it, mate. It's not going to blow the caps off if it not quite done anyway. About the extra water. I think you're fine there as well. I almost always add a bit to the carboy to get it up to the neck, just below the air lock. I think it's more important to limit the exposure to O2. I've never found my beers too watery. In fact i'm sampling my lastest now and it is 'smooth as golden'.

Yes, an extra day or two on the FV won't hurt. As Matty said PETs allow you to bottle early, if need be, because you can always release the pressure a few times to normalise the cabontaion level in the beer.

Eh!, there's no need to increase the volume in an attempt to reduce exposure to oxygen - yeast is a voracious oxygen scavenger and the fermentation process produces large quantities of CO2 gas, which displaces the air out of the headspace.

I think you'll be ok, Jason. It was a good move to wait a day or so but as you get more experienced i think you will know when your brew is finished. a little rule of thumb; the F.G. should be about 1/4 of O.G. if you are using dextrose or white sugar which ferments out completely the F.G. should be a bit lower than if you were to use dry malt extract or say a 'toucan'. there is more unfermentables in the malt. my 'toucan' brews always bottom out at 1.010-12. maybe it's just that way up here in the northern hemisphere. and about the extra water/ O2 exposure. it goes to show you you can't always believe everything you read. I'm sorry if i was not as clear with my first response as i could have been.

All ready to bottle if the FG stays the same.

Give it a few weeks and then see what it tastes like. I wasnt too impressed with my last lager brew although it has been sitting in the bottle for around 3 months now so I might have to crack one open for you tonight.

Archived