Coopers Community

Making mead with wild yeast

d_m

Howdy,

I can get honey straight from the hive and i have made beer for a good while. Wondering whats the best way to go about making mead using only water + honey

When making wine some say its required to mix everyday or once every few days, is this different with higher gravity ferments?

I was looking to do 25% honey to water ratio, or 50%. not sure how much mixing is required

cheers

Use champagne yeast, the wild yeasts we have here in Oz are different to the European varieties that are used to make traditional meade. I know that might be disappointing to traditionalists, but you will get something enjoyable at the end at least.

I used 8kg honey in 20 litres. The OG was 1.126.

If you fill a fermenter to the 10 litre mark with honey and top that up with water the OG will be massive and the yeast will either not start or will die well before the mead is fermented.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, interceptor said:

I used 8kg honey in 20 litres. The OG was 1.126.

If you fill a fermenter to the 10 litre mark with honey and top that up with water the OG will be massive and the yeast will either not start or will die well before the mead is fermented.

oh ok, I did a 2L batch a while ago (im guessing <10% honey) and did not check the OG and left it for 4 weeks it was very sweet and im guessing the yeast died halfway through

I did another 2L batch a few days after this post with honey straight from the hive and gravity was 1.050, been mixing every few days and its still fermenting. If this one turns out the same ill try that OG see if its any better

I have a few questions:

What was the FG?

how long did you leave it?

how often did you stir?

Thanks

Edited by d_m

FG - I don't recall but was quite low.
Left it for a few months.
I did not stir.

13 minutes ago, d_m said:

im guessing the yeast died halfway through

Perhaps, or it was still going.

Mead can benefit from additions of yeast nutrient.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, interceptor said:

FG - I don't recall but was quite low.
Left it for a few months.
I did not stir.

Perhaps, or it was still going.

Mead can benefit from additions of yeast nutrient.

ok, good to know thanks for the info