Coopers Community

Site Newby

JeffH1

Hey Guy's

Haven't put down a cooper's brew in twenty-one years but a mate and I decided over the new year's break to give it another go. We used to brew all the standard Cooper's cans in the eighties with no temp control and no hydrometers or sugar weights. In short we were considerably half assed but still managed to turn out good beer. Cooper's must be fool proof!!!

In short, I'm back into it and have down now a lager that came with the kit and I'm looking for advice from the guru's as to the accuracy of my hydrometer with regards to when to bottle. The lager was put down on Sunday arvo and the temp has been about 26 degrees during the brew and it is showing signs of slowing. What's the good goss.

Educate Jethro!?

Welcome back to the brewing world.

When the hydrometer reads the same reading over consecutive days that it is ready to bottle. Also if possible try and keep your fermenter around the 20C mark as the hotter it is the more off flavours it produces.

Although sounds like your on the right track so hopefullyyou will be able to enjoy some of the best tasting beer.[love]

Thank you Matty.

I've tried all week to keep the wort cooler but it's been fairly warm and humid here in SEQ for the past week and I have been watching closely the temperature but I just require a little advice with regard to the hydrometer and it's accuracy. Sorry for the newbie concern but in the eighties we just used to watch the bubbles in the air lock. Not very scientific I know, but we didn't know about hydrometers and the like. I'm sure that by the time that this brew is ready for the tongue that I'll be confident to take accurate reading's.

Thanks again,

Jethro.

Just remember to spin the hydrometer when you put it in so it looses all of it's bubbles so the reading is accurate as possible.

I hear you with the temp problem, how I am managing is I have it in a tub of water with 2L coke bottles full of ice in the water.

G'day Jeff, welcome to the Brewers Guild!!

Check the hydro in tap water at around 20degC. This will help you to work out the amount of error to allow for when you measure the SG of your brew.

Making a Pilsener may not be such a great idea if you can't control the ferment temp - stick to ale yeast for now. Yeast info here

Archived