Coopers Community

New to home brewing

Michael

Hi, I am new to the home brewing scene.

I just recently bottled my first brew and everything seems to be going fine.

But at the start i stired my yeast into the other ingredients instead of just sprinkeling it on i was just wondering if that will matter or should i not worrie about it

Cheeres

Welcome to Homebrewing.

Alot of people brew their beer with lots of little quirks where as Muddy sprinkles his yeast, I stir mine like you have. Others use clingwrap instead of the lid supplied.

Its all about what makes it easier for you to make great tasting beer.

Welcome aboard Micheal, im different to both previous posters i rehydrate the yeast. Meaning tip the yeast into a cup of cooled boiled water and cover with cling wrap while i prepare the rest of the ingredients. It helps wake the yeast up[happy]

The reason i do this is it starts fermentation much earlier than if you just sprinkle in the yeast on top of the brew.

But each to their own methods.

I've tried stirring in the past and found it didn't make any noticeable difference - but horses for courses [biggrin]

As for rehydrating yeast, I also don't bother however it can be a good indicator as to the viability of your yeast. If you think you yeast hasn't been stored in ideal conditions or is a bit old it is a good idea to rehydrate so you can tell if it is shot or not. It also starts fermentation marginally earlier but for a 2 week endeavour I hardly think a few hours makes a difference - but again horses for courses [innocent] .

Archived