Coopers Community

Mexican Cerveza SG Readings (I'm new as well)

Olpainless

Hey dudes,

Been brewing a couple of years off and on but only starting to fine tune it now and do it properly, so bear with me.

Currently fermenting some Mexican Cerveza. Ingredients are the can and 1kg BE2 as recommended.

Closed fermenter, 7 days at 26 degrees. Just racked it to my second fermenter to clear it (2 more days). Initial SG before yeast 1024. Current SG 1008. SG when I racked it to the second fermenter was 1010.

Here's my question.

Based on the alcohol percentage calculator, and assuming this is nearly ready to keg, won't this work out to be a 2.6% beer or so? Even if it gets a bit lighter when conditioning in the keg, the initial reading of 1024 seems low. I was sure to mix everything up well but the temperature of the wort was a little high when I mixed it (like close to 30 for an hour or so until it cooled).

I note some of you guys added extra dex to the brew, is this usually needed to get a 5% or regular strength beer with this particular one? Or was it just temperature of the wort?

I've only just started measuring SG pre-yeast and at end of fermenting so no doubt I'm missing something simple.

Any thoughts on this would be welcome. I'm still going to keg it obviously, just curious on why the readings worked out this way.

It sounds like it is pretty well done and ready to bottle. Just make sure the gravity reading is the same over 2 consecutive days and it should be fine.

The OG does seem a little low at 1024. When I made my Mexican Cerveza it had an OG of 1040. Maybe it wasn't as mixed in as you thought as your post states or maybe you should check your hydrometer.

I reckon the OG should be about 1039 and the alcohol just shy of 4%.

Something went wrong with your first reading. Like Matty said it may not have been mixed properly (which is only a problem for you reading - the beer will be fine). Maybe also check you hydrometer in 20C water - it should read 1000. Most hydrometers I've ever had have been calibrated to 20C but some are 15C I think - check the small print on yours.

I've only made Cerveza a couple of times but tweaked the recipe to up the alcohol - Didn't come out too bad but I'm not really a Corona fan. I think I upped the malt and dex so if I were to do it again I'd probably reduce the malt and rely more on dextrose as Corona is a pretty thin watery beer (or maybe just drop the volume of the batch by a few litres) .

Archived