Coopers Community

Another Newbie

MichaelS22

Just got my first batch going about 8 hours ago--Real Ale. Everything seemed to go well, the batch was 24c with some foam when I poured on the yeast. The yeast went to work and was bubling pretty well. A couple of hours later it has stopped and nothing is coming through the grommet and I cannot see the yeast at work anymore. Should I worry? Thanks.

g'day mate, welcome to the wonderful world of homebrew. In short the answer, without know all of the details/conditions/ingredients of your brew is: no, you shouldn't worry. Leave it 24 hrs and it will more than likely be doing what it should be. Someone on here evens suggests to ignore the airlock![biggrin]

Thank you very much for your help. It still has some foam on the top; been steady 24c since I added the yeast; is not bubbling although it still has bubbles from the foam. I did everything according to the directions[roll] we shall see how it looks in the morning.

Michael,

I have had the same problem, somtimes it is just that the lid is not screwed on tight enough. Give is a good hard twist or if you are useing a snap on lid make sure it is all pushed down tight.

I had one that did the same thing on one particular fermenter, the one that came with the Coopers kit, it has an uneven top lip, I only use this one for secondry now. Coopers have wisely gone to the snap on pails.[happy]

I

I'm not sure what you mean by grommet Michael. The grommet is the rubber ring used to secure the airlock. I assume your talking about the airlock. Sometimes it deosn't matter what you do you can't get a perfect seal. It really doesn't matter.

You have foam. Is there condensation on the underside of the lid? If so it is a valid sign of fermentation. This is another reason I use glad wrap instead of a lid you can see everything happening through the plastic. The new DIY kits are also see through which serves the same purpose (only better).

It sound like all is going well so sit back and relax [biggrin]

[biggrin] I shall ignore the airlock!! I thought the airlock was the grommet, oh well. Yes, condinsation is forming on the top of the lid. I got the Coopers' kit for Christmas and it has the screw on lid. Plus, it has a real nice scum ring on the fermenter wall above the wort. I am ready for some Coopers Real Ale!! Now, I just have to wait until it is ready [happy]

Thanks to everyone, my first brew of Coopers Real Ale is coming along nicely (I think). Everything was done according to the instructions that came with the Cooper's Kit. It has been brewing for five days now. The OG was 1.034. The SG has been holding steady at 1.020 for a couple of days. The temp has been a consistent 24c. The brew is a beautiful golden color. My question is do I need to do anything other than wait to get the FG down to the 1.008. The instruction book said 4-7 days; but I have read on here that two weeks in the plastic tub is something to consider. So, do I just need to wait it out, or do I need to do something?

And I love reading these forum post!!!

[rightful] [rightful] It's been said before and I'll say it again - be patient grasshopper. 1020 is way too high for this brew (and 1034, depending on what is in the brew, is too low) it sounds like your hydrometer is out, or your reading of te hydro is. I know it is difficult, but let it ride for another few days at least.

Archived