Coopers Community

My First Time, My First Mistake - Need Advice

DaiK

I recieved a Coopers kit for Christmas and put together my first batch last night. It was the Coopers IPA (my favorite). Being new at this I neglected to add the dry malt extract with the concentrate and the sugar. I realized this about an hour after I added the yeast and sealed the lid, so to not through off the liquid ration I just added the DME, stirred the mixture, and re-sealed the lid. Is there still hope for my beer, or shoud I srcap the batch and start over? Thank you for any advice you can offer.

Dai

I'm not super experienced at this yet - batch #4 in the fermenter right now (Wee Heavy style Scotch Ale) starting gravity -1089! [biggrin]

I think your beer will probably be OK... were yuo able to dissolve the DME properly? If not, you might have a slightly less potent beer, but beer nonetheless. You run the risk of having contaminated your beer but there is no reason of disposing of it. Let it run the course and see what the results are. Make sure the temperature is kept as steady as possible and let the yeast do the rest. Take a hydrometer reading in about a week see where you're at.

Don't watch the airlock, it frequently lies to you. [devil]

It also doesn't hurt to let the beer hang out in the fermenter for extra time than stated in the instructions, sort of a 'secondary fermentation' if you will.

Happy Brewing!

Jon

Thank you all for your comments and advice. Yeah I panicked when I realized that I missed the DME and quickly added it without thinking about trying to disolve it first. In retrospect it woud have been better to disolve, cool, then add, but I'm going to follow through with this batch. Thanks again for everyones help.

Dai

Archived